Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

Captainnofun

Captainnofun

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, I'm seeking help from the big guns here. Namely, you guys. :whistling:

We have a coworker who can't stay off the internet. We've decided to teach her a lesson by tweaking her system so that she cannot access IE. We don't want to UNINSTALL it (these are corporate computers), we just want to get it so she can't access it.

Can anyone help? Bonus points to those that can explain it as though we have little to know computer knowledge whatsoever. Although yes, we do know a bit about the registry.

Thank you guys so much in advance. We (and I mean all of us here) really appreciate it!
Captain

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
What positionauthority do you have within the organization?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would suggest getting your IT department, if you have one, to set the corporate's firewall to not allow Internet access for that user.

Ron

Captainnofun

Captainnofun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
We're all "support staff," with one office manager, to answer the first question.

As for the 2nd, would love to talk to the IT guys, but then we'd have to tell them WHY we want them to do it, which we'd like to avoid.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Then you would have to access the Firewall (corporate PW needed?) yourself and see if her account is listed and block Internet access for IE. Not sure if blocking IE's access to Internet affects all users or if it would be just under her account listing. You put support staff in quotes so not sure if you really have the authority to do this. CoachWife6 had the right question to begin with.

Ron

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Internet Explorer generally hooks itself deep into Windows and there are many ways to access it other than removing a short cut off the Start Menu. There are also other web browsers available. I'm sure if your co-worker does spend as much time online as you claim she will be aware of more than one way to get online, Internet Explorer or otherwise.

May I suggest that if you have a problem with your co-worker's inability to stay off the Internet which may affecting your department, you bring it to the attention of the people on suits on the next level. Otherwise you may find yourselves in breach of company contract for effectively sabotaging company property should your co-worker complain after you "tweak" her computer.