Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

purchase of operating system?

• Please log in to reply

mechanic

mechanic

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I would be intrested in others views on a question that was posed in the local over a few beers.When you buy a computer and it has a preloaded operating system, have you bought the operating system?If so why do you not get a disk to re-install the system if you run into problems in the future such as hard disk failure,virus, etc. It would appear that most people having purchased a system only get a recovery disk at best - if at all.Is it a case that the price of a new system would have to rise if the operating system disk was supplied?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I bought a new Dell over a year ago and was sent the Recovery and Diagnostic CDs. No Win XP install disc. I went online to Dell's LiveChat service and ask for the Win XP CD. They sent me one free. It's a matter of immediately requesting an O/S install CD if you do get a new PC.

HP was sued over not providing even a Windows Recovery disk and lost. But, they made you jump through hoops to get the CD plus there was a time limit. I have no idea what policy HP follows now on new PCs or whether they are now shipping those with the O/S install CDs.

Ron

Related link:

Hidden Partition vs. a real Windows CD

Edited by Major Payne, 20 August 2007 - 04:06 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It's a very good point, and it's one of the reasons I always purchase from a local computer shop. I like supporting local, they usually give me a good deal, any problems I don't have to post it anywhere for the warranty (and take weeks to fix it), and I get an OEM Windows disc...

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
you NEVER buy a microsoft operating system. You are licensing it. something like leasing or renting. you have to read the license that came with the os to find out what your actual rights are....

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I understand what you say say SHARD 92 but why when you purchase a system with an OS installed does the suppler not supply you with a disk to solve various problems that might arise in the future?It may well be that you licence the system but that does not help the customer when things go wrong.

Edited by mechanic, 23 August 2007 - 02:15 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You buy a licence, mass builders don't send the disks usually because they don't use them to install and it keeps costs down, I don't know about Vista but XP disks weren't copyrighted or copy protected to facilitate copying and distribution of the disks so you can legally copy someone's install disk if you have a problem. And they dont give disks because that makes it easy for people to fix their own problems and not pay them to fix it.

Dell now offer Linux which is usually free now they don't give you a disk but they are free to order and it doesn't break quite so easy.