Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Grand-daughter's Gateway Laptop

• Please log in to reply

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Having finally received the power cord for this laptop/notebook, i cannot do anything with the "F" keys. Thought i might be able to do the chkdsk, scannow or SOMETHING. A small little note at the bottom (L) corner of the screen will sometimes say "Safe Mode" but there is no start or anything that will allow me to get into My Computer or anything. Is it toast???
A "friend" of her mother borrowed it and it was supposedly coming to my house to see why she cannot retrieve her email and this is what came to me. There had been a challenge with the email and it is anyone's guess what this friend did. It had been working just fine except for the email issue until the "friend" got on there. There isn't even any way for me to clean up or anything.
It is less than a year old.Model MA7-wIN OS XP Media Center.
Tried to see what i could find from the bottow of the unit to add any other pertinent info.

Edited by headwayne, 20 August 2007 - 04:42 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
From the details you supplied I don't know what this computer is. Please write down the make and the model. Have you tried system resore? If you can't do that in normal mode try in safe mode with command prompt as follows: Type
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter. This will open system resore table. Choose a date prior to the problem and run the process.