Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer shuts off automatically

• Please log in to reply

Farntet

Farntet

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, my computer shuts down randomly. When i try to turn it back on, the computer appears to be running, but the monitor doesnt display anything and the mouse doesnt turn on(the led doesnt turn on). I thought something might have been overheating because if leave it off and let it sit for about 20 minutes i can turn it back on no problem. Sometimes it will say memory cheksum error. Timings have been reset. I got new ram but im still having the same problem. With the case open for circulation, while trying to convert a divx to dvd it shuts down each time. Im thinking it might be the power supply. Anyone have any input or experienced this before? Thanks alot

Advertisements

Farntet

Farntet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
In an update to my situation... My computer WILL load up if i leave it for about 3 minutes with the blank screen. Sometimes it says memory timings have been reset, but it will flash the intel motherboard screen and then load up into windows. This is very frustrating and im hoping someone will have some insight. Thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please do this to clear the BIOS: disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall in the reverse order and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error. If you do, enter BIOS by pressing Del or F2 repeatedly when starting the computer until BIOS tables show up. Set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS. You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. Look for what key you have to press to enter setup.

Download Everest from the lost of programs below. Run it on Computer > Sensor. Please write down the temperatures and voltages that show up in Everest.

Download Sandra XI.

How to create a Sandra XI report.

Important Note: Sandra, like all computer test programs, stresses computer components beyond the average use. This is necessary to discover weaknesses in the system. On the other hand, if the system is in a marginal state a permanent failure of components may occur . Before running the program make sure to save any unsaved data.

Download Sandra XI using the link in my signature. Please note that if you run XP 64 you need a different version of Sandra then when using XP 32. Install and run the program.

Click on Tools and then on Create Report. Follow the instructions and when given the options uncheck everything which is not related to hardware. Choose a place in which to save the report. The report can be very long and complex so do not attach it to your post unless specifically asked to do so.

Run the program. The test is quite long. On my computer just testing the hardware takes about 40 minutes. At the top righthand corner there is an idicator that shows that the test is running. At the end look at the report on the screen and report only items which did not pass the test successfully.