Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Symantec patches critical Norton flaw

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
nfoworld.com -- A bug in the way Norton AntiVirus software uses the ActiveX programming language could cause serious problems for users of Symantec's products.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
That link didn't work for me. Last week, an update delivered via Live Update brought my NIS to its knees. I had to uninstall, then reinstall, which meant I needed to retrain the firewall, as well as reconfigure the whole thing and do all the long scans. Arrgghhh! The error message was "Symantec's Norton has encountered a problem, and needs to close". It shut off the firewall on its own. I wasn't at the computer, so I was more than slightly annoyed when I returned. It would not restart the firewall, even after a reboot, so I followed the directions provided by the error message. (I hae been known to blow off some Symantec errors with good luck in the past.) NIS would not install over top of itself (that usually allows you to keep your settings), I tried. I'd like to read this article, Ron, if you can find it again. TIA
Johanna

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try this that lists a lot more:

InfoWorld

Ron