Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows XP registration

• Please log in to reply

mondial356

mondial356

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi. I have two computers, a Compaq used exclusively by my son (up until now) and a Dell used by me. The Compaq is (was) running Windows 2000 and the Dell Windows XP. Unknown to me my son used my Dell Windows XP re-install disc to install XP on his Compaq, which he then registered. I have just tried to refresh my own XP program and cannot register it, or open my computer beyond the Welcome screen without doing so.

It appears that whilst the program has loaded perfectly the disc is a "one shot deal" and cannot be used on two computers.

Is there any way I can remove this from my son's Compaq and re-use it on my Dell? If not, is there anything I can do without buying a new XP disc?

Thanks

David

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you describe this a bit better? the act of using a recovery disk does nothing to the disk...there's not magic switch that will turn the thing off or anything like that

you've got to reinstall 2000 on the gateway...because (unknowingly) your son just broke the law by installing XP on another machine without paying for the license (XP is for one machine at a time...and those recovery disks are actually for ONE specific machine)

mondial356

mondial356

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you for your prompt response. I can and will handle my son's problem by simply deleting XP from his machine. However, my own problem is that I used the reload disc which has overwritten my original manufacturers installed program. When I open my computer it asks me to register the new(?) version of XP but when i attempt to do so it says that this disc is already registered to another machine, this being my son's machine but in my name. Therefore I can no longer access my Windows XP program. Is there any way out of this?
David