Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting Up Network

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Ok, I was given a little task today, I had a friend call me and tell me she wants to network her 5 computers at the office together. She wants them to be online, and to share files and whatnot from her tax programs. I tell her NO problem. Thats very simple.

Now curve ball number on comes, she has to do it cheap. I tell her that might be a problem, cause internal office networks dont come that cheap.

So I tell her ok, give me some times to find cheap parts and I will set it up.....

Curve ball number 2.... She tells me it has to be done this weekend, and that she needs a written est by friday at noon.

So im doing my reasearch now.... wanted some other IT pros to chime in.
What would you suggest I buy to set this up.... remember cheap and fast to get.... wow it would be really easy to just go get a linksys router plug them all in and go... but I dont think that will work... lol

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

wow it would be really easy to just go get a linksys router plug them all in and go... but I dont think that will work... lol

for a 5 machine setup that actually would work....assuming that they really do only need internet access and file sharing....if they don't need VPN (shouldn't) and all that other jazz then something like your standard router should be fine

might need to get a switch or two if they are wanting more computers in the future...but you can get those rellatively cheap as well

all you're doing is setting up a workgroup...just like if it was at your house

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Yea it sounds that simple to me as well, but I am worried that the internal tax program they use will not work across a simple network. I guess I need to learn more about that program before I try and set this up.

There are 5 computers, I know my router will only wire 4... do I need a switch just for that one other one?

lol and this is why you go wireless.... lol can have like 50 wireless I think :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

lol and this is why you go wireless.... lol can have like 50 wireless I think

i would actually suggest avoiding wireless....if they're not "techie" enough to do this themselves...then wireless will be a pian

well...i'd PERSONALLY....suggest getting a 12 or 24 port switch (probably the 12)....plug all the PCs into the switch then the switch to the router...this will give them the ability to scale up if they need to by adding more computers or network printers or a server or whatever they want to add to the system

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
lol yes since you put it like that... wireless probally not the best way to go.

All I have ever done was simple home networks, never something this werid... lol

Well thanks for the advice, I will repost if I have anymore hang-ups :whistling: