Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating an computer

• Please log in to reply

ali786

ali786

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I recently inherited a Posiflex TP6000. It runs on Windows 98 so i decided to update it. However it has no CD or Floppy disk drive. It does have 5 usb ports, but when i inserted my usb drive, Windows 98 did not recognise the device as it did not have the drivers for it. The Posiflex itself uses touchcreen technology.
Can anybody advise me on what to do, on how to update it or even just on how to install the drivers for the USb flash drive.
Thanks in advance

Edited by ali786, 21 August 2007 - 11:11 AM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, an idea, is there is a connection to the Internet and if it is windows98 second edition would it be possible to download the driver directly from the flash drive's Internet site, Also, is there a pmcia slot where one could add an external CD rom drive, thanks

ali786

ali786

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried to connect me broadband connection to computer but with no luck. As regard to the slot for an external hard drive, i dont think so. Never mind i will have to take it to PC world and et them sort it out. Thanks anyway.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
no, I am not saying external harddrive, I mean this:

http://images.google...htt...l=en&sa=N

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Make way and take off the box and cut some wires and connect a CD-Rom drive to them and there you go. (and keep the box off).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Make way and take off the box and cut some wires and connect a CD-Rom drive to them and there you go. (and keep the box off).

what?

ali786

ali786

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

no, I am not saying external harddrive, I mean this:

http://images.google...htt...l=en&sa=N

No there isnt a slot for any type of cards, such as seen in that picture, and taking the box off???
www.alibaba.com/catalog/10866172/POSIFLEX_Touch_screen_terminal.html

The computer in the image is the one i have, apart from the card reader on the side. There are no screws to open apart from the ones at the bottom.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh wow, that looks awesome! So you're computer is something like the sales clerk uses at the shop? Can you use the touchscreen to play games, that would be so cool...

Yeah and don't worry about taking the box off...

ali786

ali786

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The computer is one a sales clerk would use. The games on it are also awesome but owever i cannot put any more on. I could just imagine playing lemmings on it however i cant put it on :whistling: :blink:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
have you been on the maker's site, perhaps they will advise you on the usage of their USB ports, it could just be that they have a special way of installing stuff or that only a certain type of USB key works, also has it got a modem for directly connecting to the Internet(not broadband), btw and another problem is if this is windows98 first edition not second edition because I seem to remember that USB keys are not recognized in first edition, though if this were second edition then one could take out the harddrive from the computer and place it into an external harddrive caddie, connect the harddrive caddie to another computer and place the driver of the USB key in the system form there, then return the harddrive to the original computer and install the driver since the driver would then be in the harddrive of the computer, (sorry if I am not too clear then, should I explain again)

actually curiosity is getting to me, could you just go into BIOS and check the boot sequence seeing what it offers, careful not to change anything there though

Edited by fleamailman, 26 August 2007 - 01:35 PM.

ali786

ali786

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry about the delay in responce fleamailman, im a bit busy. I will get back to you with the information that you need this weekend, but in the meantime could you tell me how to go into bios and check the boot sequence.

P.S. Yes you were not very clear

Thanks for your help

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
usually the computer tells you the way into the BIOS on the first screen, ie something "to enter setup press.....", depending on the make it can be Esc, or del, or one of Fnumber keys,(keys at the top of the a keyboard), so what do you see on the screen first when you switch on your computer.

then once in BIOS, read carefully what the options are, somewhere it will read boot sequence and how to navigate it, but the problem is this again depends on the make, so be careful not to mess about in there, change nothing, and if after looking around it says "exit without saving" go for it, if you don't feel up to doing, don't try in the first place as I am only curious to know what options it offers as a clue for you, but it does not matter and it may be very special from what you say it is