Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Leopard looks sweet!

• Please log in to reply

lovenerdyboys

lovenerdyboys

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Any other Mac fans looking forward to October when they release Leopard? I can't wait I desperately need an upgrade and some the new features look amazing.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
i am not a mac user but I would appreciate links if any, thanks

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Personally, I think that Tiger is a solid rock... it is about like windows 95 for the pc users out their. It will be years (in my mind) before apple is able completely able to move away from this design of os that just works. Sure leopard has some nice new features, but nothing that makes me go "ooooo, that's going to change my life. Now before you get mad at me, know this, I am a die hard mac fan and am planning on getting and enjoying leopard. So I just hope that Steve has some secret features still waiting to spring out at us when leopard comes out.

pyrocajun2707

pyrocajun2707

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Leopard IS a nice OS, but I don't believe it's as great as it's hyped up to be. To me it's just another overrated Apple product that fails to impress me. First you have to consider that many of OS X's "innovations" were first implemented in other operating systems. Take Leopard's multiple desktop features, for instance. That's been implemented in Linux distros for years now, not to mention in a more organized, user-friendly, and visually-impressive way when paired with Beryl Window Manager. You also have to consider what OS X essentially IS: a basic BSD kernel laid under Apple's GUI and app packages. I find it kind of funny that they call it the "World's most advanced operating system" when they're taking ideas from other open-source developments that have been around for years. People just fail to realize that just because it looks advanced doesn't really mean it IS. Look at Solaris, which is also marketed as the most advanced operating system. It is an industry-oriented OS, so the emphasis is not on general-user-attracting cutesy looks, but security, operability, and stability. Sure, the interface looks like total crap, but if you take a look at the programming behind it and the way the runtime environments are structured it makes OS X look like a baby toy.

Don't get me wrong; for the everyday home user, macs are great. Their simplicity and narrow range of hardware support makes them fast and efficient for most basic home-based tasks and even things like CAD and media editing. They're just not nearly as advanced or innovative as they claim to be, and that just pisses me off. :whistling:

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Couldn't have said it better myself. I was looking at getting a Mac but realised how you can't do anything. I believe a lot of mac users just say that thier Mac is good to genuinely hide the fact they are so pissed off with buying it.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
though I appreciate Supersam's idea, somehow I cannot agree with his last statement, I know a lot of mac users really love their macs because they fully understand them and probably because their needs are just standard ones, which since malware is an issue to them, is important. and perhaps the same barb could be leveled at us linux users but I really do like my old computer, warts and all, something about not following the crowd and being able to do everything form this simply os pleases me

Edited by fleamailman, 28 August 2007 - 11:55 AM.

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I look at it this way... I think Tiger is the worlds best os (and yes I use vista too) and Leopard will be better than Tiger, but won't change my life. The bottum line, I'ld recamend a mac to everyone!

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Couldn't have said it better myself. I was looking at getting a Mac but realised how you can't do anything. I believe a lot of mac users just say that thier Mac is good to genuinely hide the fact they are so pissed off with buying it.

I don't think so. I just simply got sick of the poor hardware and the incompatibility issues with PCs.