Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitor screen goes black

• Please log in to reply

Xiami

Xiami

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've been having a problem, possibly with my monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 171s). Apparently, other people have had this problem too. At some times, my screen goes black. Most of the time when I'm playing a game and the image is dark.
I did some experamenting with this. I was playing a space game, and when I was facing the dark space, it went black, but when I was facing a bright star, It was okay. Usually when the screen goes black, it's only for a few seconds. During that time, the green light on the side of the monitor (on the on/off button) flickers and right before it goes back to normal, it turns yellow/orange.
Anyone knows what's wrong and how to fix it?

Advertisements

Xiami

Xiami

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
also, just a few minutes ago, it did the same thing except it didn't go back to normal and I was forced to restart my computer. My guess was that the image was too dark. (I was playing that space game again.) I it was in a window rather than full screen, I would've pressed the start button on the keyboard. Usually, that makes the image bright enough to get the screen back to normal.
Just though I might add that...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
have you tried the monitor with a different PC or a different monitor with your PC? that will help to eliminate your monitor as the problem.

other than that it may be your video card...you might try updating the drivers (if a newer version is available) and see if thta helps

Xiami

Xiami

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No, I havn't tried changing PCs.
Is it possible to update the drivers online or is that something I buy at a store?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
just go to the video card manufacturer's website...they'll have a download link for the drivers

Xiami

Xiami

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
okay... My manufacturer is MSI, so I looked for video card driver updates, and there are sooooo many. How do I know which one is best?

Xiami

Xiami

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
We did it! The problem is gone (for now). Thank you very much for your help. I just wish I could've gotten the answer earlier.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
did you do a driver update....is that what "got you out of the dark" so to speek?

Xiami

Xiami

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I did. It was easier than I thought. I was expecting a two-hour long download of some sort. But it was quick and painless.

Edited by Xiami, 29 August 2007 - 02:06 PM.