Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Turn up volume ?!

• Please log in to reply

xyz1978

xyz1978

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Apologize if this is the wrong section of the forum to be posting.

Here's the issue. About a week ago the powersupply of my computer blew/shortcircuited whatever. This caused damage to my motherboard which I had to have replaced. When the new motherboard was put in, my hard drive had to be wiped (everything was backed up luckily) I brought it to a place by me to get repaired. I get it back and everything's fine except 2 issues:

My keyboard doesn't work anymore. Not that big a deal because I have another one I can use.

The main problem is that I can't turn up the volume past a certain point. I've turned the volume up as loud as possible in every option I can find (control panel etc) but the audio from the speaker is not very loud at all. The speakers are plugged into the computer and don't have an independant power source.

The reason I mentioned the keyboard is that it had a volume control on it that I used and I'm not sure if that's some how related.

Is this a driver issue? If so which one would I need? There also appears to be a program on my computer called C Media 3D Audio Configuration that's controlling my audio. Not sure where this came from. The store must have installed it. I checked it out, all the settings seems to be as loud as possible but maybe this program is causing the probelm. Maybe I should uninstall it? Another strange thing I've noticed is can't anything from my headphones when I plug them in. I still hear minimal sound from the speakers but nothing from the headphone.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like front audio panel isn't wired up correctly. I take it you have a purple/red slot and a green slot on the front of your case somewhere? If so, you have front audio and if this isn't wired up correctly, it causes other issues with regular sound. Take it back to the shop and explain the symptoms, it was probably an honest mistake (front panel audio isn't the easiest thing to wire up correctly :whistling:).

xyz1978

xyz1978

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Sounds like front audio panel isn't wired up correctly. I take it you have a purple/red slot and a green slot on the front of your case somewhere? If so, you have front audio and if this isn't wired up correctly, it causes other issues with regular sound. Take it back to the shop and explain the symptoms, it was probably an honest mistake (front panel audio isn't the easiest thing to wire up correctly :whistling:).

I have 2 orangeish slots in the front. What does that tell if anything?

Edited by xyz1978, 22 August 2007 - 05:23 PM.