Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Explorer.exe Problem

• Please log in to reply

burny

burny

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A few days ago, when I turned on my computer, I got this error at startup:

Quote:
the procedure entry point shcreatethreadref could not be located in the dynamic link library shlwapi.dll

I googled it and come up with all the 'fixes' for it - uninstalling the KB834707 update (which I did)...I even ran xp recovery repair, sfc /scannow, and installed the Sr.sy_ file (as stated here in post #4): http://www.geekstogo...se-t133362.html ... The error will NOT go away.

Just a little background: I have NOT upgraded to SP2 - I did back when it first came out but uninstalled it b/c I hated it. I had been planning to reformat my computer soon (my last reformat was in 2004) and installing it back again b/c I KNOW I need it but I hadn't installed any updates prior to this error occuring. I did, however, install 2 programs before this problem started.

One was the 'Rename Start Menu' program (http://www.download....4-10717098.html) and the other is Secunia Software Inspector (as seen in Kim Komando's newsletter - (http://secunia.com/software_inspector)...instead of using the online scan (which is SP1 compatible - I downloaded the software (beta) and tried to install but it wouldn't b/c I needed SP2 to run it - which I overlooked...so I uninstalled it (manually since the uninstall wouldn't proceed). The Rename Start Menu program never did work after reboot, so I removed it as well.

I really think the problem is with the Rename Start Menu program. I had a tea-timer pop up asking me to accept the change the program made, which I did.

I have run a couple registry scans/various maintanence and have not been successful in fixing the problem.

When my computer boots with the explorer.exe error, my desktop/start menu does not show until I go to task manager and run explorer.exe manually. Then everything is fine...but this problem is very annoying and I know if I leave it like this, the problem will only get worse in the long run. I DO plan on installing SP2 soon - will that fix this problem? I'm kinda scared to install it b/c I don't want to lose anything on my system...I'm not done with all the backups I wanted to do before reformatting.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have a system restore point made before you installed those programmes, return to that, then run a repair install as per the guide here, then run Microsoft Update

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update