Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My DVDRW is not being recognised

• Please log in to reply

miyagisprotege

miyagisprotege

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I've recently been forced to buy a new hard drive after a power cut whilst my PC was turned on damaged the previous one, I've formatted the new hard-drive about 3-4 times now and my PHILIPS DVDRW416 is still not being recognised as a DVDRW, it's being shown as a DVD/CD-RW drive.

I've downloaded the latest FirmWare pack for the drive and still nothing's happened, I don't know what to do or where to start. All I know is the device was working fine before I had to put in the new hard drive.

I hope you guys can help me.

Thanks.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well since it is a DVDRW drive and is saying it is a DVD/CD-RW drive, does it recognize a CD when put in or will it burn DVDs still.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Well if you've wiped the machine four times it clearly points to a hardware issue with the DVD drive. It sounds like the laser on the DVD Writing side may have gone which means its reporting to Windows it now has the functionality of a Combi Drive (CD writer and DVD Player).

Don't forget you have had a power cut which may not have affected just the hard drive, but other bits too.

Edited by Neil Jones, 22 August 2007 - 03:29 AM.

miyagisprotege

miyagisprotege

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Well since it is a DVDRW drive and is saying it is a DVD/CD-RW drive, does it recognize a CD when put in or will it burn DVDs still.

It will play DVDs' and CD's but won't burn DVDs'.

miyagisprotege

miyagisprotege

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Well if you've wiped the machine four times it clearly points to a hardware issue with the DVD drive. It sounds like the laser on the DVD Writing side may have gone which means its reporting to Windows it now has the functionality of a Combi Drive (CD writer and DVD Player).

Don't forget you have had a power cut which may not have affected just the hard drive, but other bits too.

Do you have any idea how I can resolve this problem please?? :whistling:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Buy a new DVD Writer, they're cheap.

Nobody seriously expects a DVD Writer to suddenly start working on the DVD writing side after its been zapped by a power surge. With all due respect, after it behaved in exactly the same way on the second reload of Windows, it should have told you that its not a Windows problem but a hardware problem = the drive.

miyagisprotege

miyagisprotege

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
[bleep], I didn't want it to have to come to that, I've just had to shell out for a new hard drive too...

Can you recommend a decent DVD re-writer that'll be reliable etc please??

Thank you for your help.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Samsungs are nice. Here are some of the most popular DVD burners on newegg:
http://www.newegg.co...name=DVD Burner

Edited by jackflash1991, 22 August 2007 - 08:17 PM.

miyagisprotege

miyagisprotege

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Jack, I'll take a look, shame it's the only option available though as a simple thing like a power cut could do so much blooming damage...

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
At least it is the cheapest component of a computer.

Cheers

miyagisprotege

miyagisprotege

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That's true, I've found some for under 20 pounds on certain sites, Samsungs, Sonys', the lot, very good, I was worried about having to pay something in excess of 80 pounds again, as was the price of my DVDRW when I orignally bought it.