Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM error

• Please log in to reply

Sic

Sic

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,.

I just installed a 512 PC2700 RAM, and after like 4 days this error (blue screen) appeared.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFA98BC6C, 0x00000000, 0x804DC2BF, 0x00000000)

I didn't copy all the words on the screen, I only copied those because I think those were the only important.

By the way.. These are the mem sticks currently installed:

one 512 MB (new)
one 128 MB (old)

What do you think the problem is? Do I need to remove the old one? Is it the one causing the error?

Thanks!

Edited by Sic, 22 August 2007 - 03:24 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A stop Stop 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, ). If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs.

If problems disappear after you remove this new stick, your new one is faulty and you should send it back for replacement.
Of course, if you get through three or four sticks with the same problem, there's clearly something else wrong.

Sic

Sic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok.. so the new RAM is the faulty one? Aren't there any other reasons for this? So my last resort is to really ask for a new one?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you bought it brand new, you should be able to exchange it or get a refund no questions asked.
If you bought it second hand and it wasn't stated as being damaged (off eBay for example) contact the seller, you may be lucky (second hand purchases carry no legal guarantees and done at your own risk).
If you bought it second hand in the knowledge that it was damaged, then you've lost your money I'm afraid and better luck next time.

With all due respect, logic dictates that if the problems only started after you put that stick in, then it may be faulty. If there were no problems before, same logic applies.

Edited by Neil Jones, 22 August 2007 - 02:32 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Neil Jones is right, and unfortunately, RAM is commonly faulty. That's why we always recommend you purchase a quality brand-name that comes with a lifetime warranty, yes it's more expensive, but because you're having problems, you can understand...

You can test your sticks by running memtest86+ if you haven't yet, download it here. All instructions are in the FAQ here.