Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

intalling tar.gz

• Please log in to reply

onthefarm

onthefarm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i am using Fedora and cant install a tar.gz download
can anyone explain how to do this in a very simple way

thanks!

Edited by onthefarm, 22 August 2007 - 05:18 AM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi there onthefarm,

Extract the file to it's own directory. Look for the "read me". folow the instructions.

The general procedure is open a terminal in that directory(In KDE you can right click and go to actions and open a terminal. most installs require root access so in terminal type "su root" [no quotes]and then you need your password) Once in root type "./configure" (no quotes) once configured use the "./install" command.

Depending on the package you may need "./make" and "./makeinstall" also. The read me should let you know.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The first thing you need to do is to extract the files, since it is compressed, you will need to uncompress it. The first thing I would do is to look at the files in it, to see if it is going to create a subdirectory or put the files in the current directory:

tar tzvf FILE

If it extracts to the current directory, create a new directory, cd to that directory, then extract the files by replacing the "t" to "x":

tar xzvf FILE

Then check out the files as mentioned above. There should be a README file, perhaps an INSTALL file and sometimes a script to install the files or configure/make type. It all depends on the package.