Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Re-installed XP but old programs still there

• Please log in to reply

coyoteracer11

coyoteracer11

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

My computer was running slow with spyware and various programs I could not uninstal (including AOL and AVG which was very irritating) and as I had nothing of any real value on there I reinstalled windows XP from the windows disc thinking it would clear everything in the computer.

I installed Avast Home Edition on the new XP installation and its startup scan not only found some viruses (now deleted) but system files like AOL and AVG, plus temp internet files and other files I recognised from the previous install. And the computer is still not running as quickly as it should.

How can this be? I wanted to completely format the hard disc so as to start again with a blank canvas - how do I do that?

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html. .
http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

Two Great tutorials for a clean install of XP complete with screenshots

Credit for Links ~ Johanna and Crash Override

coyoteracer11

coyoteracer11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorted, brilliant. I hadn't formatted the hard drive but now have and it's fine :whistling: