Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP did not start successfully - no options work

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Jaxisland is correct. I didn't notice before that you do not have the XP CD.

If you get to the point that you have to completely recover the system (which is equivalent to clear format) you can still backup the data. For this you will have to buy a 2.5 inch enclosure into which a laptop's HD is inserted. You have to remove the disk from your laptop, install it inside the device and connect the assembly via a USB connection to another computer and save the data to the other computer's HD or into some other storage device. Then you take the laptop's disk out of the enclosure, reinstall and reformat it. Latter on you can get another disk, insert into the enclosure and use it as a storage device.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Office will not help with windows problems.

COMTN0216

COMTN0216

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Never mind I figured it out that I just have disks for the suite of applications not the operating system.

COMTN0216

COMTN0216

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, it sounds like I need to start calling around family and friends to see if I can get my hands on a windows XP disk. :whistling:

COMTN0216

COMTN0216

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I got my hands on a copy of a Windows XP CD, loaded it, let the setup completely run until it gave me the three options, typed R for repair and let it run until the prompt. At the prompt, I typed in the chkdsk /r and let it run through until the end. My PC restarted and it booted up with no problems and no loss of data. Thank-you so much for all of your help. I can't believe how great this experience was using "Geeks to go" and it was all for free! You are all awesome, you have no idea how happy I am. I will recommend this website to everyone I know!!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.