Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD on usbhub.sys

• Please log in to reply

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hey guys, my fiance is having trouble with her laptop, it occasionally BSOD's stating
STOP: 0x0000007E

usbhub.sys Address BA96E789 Base at BA968000 Datestamp etc. etc....

now I have been working with it for a little while, and I have researched the problem to the best of my ability, and what microsoft says is that there is too much USB bandwidth consumption, but the problem is, it happens even when nothing is plugged into the usb ports. could it be a short in a usb port, or the usb 2.0 driver is bad? should i do a system restore on her laptop?

any ideas are appreciated. thx guys. you rock.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem could be the result of a faulty driver, a faulty usb connection or a faulty usb hub. Try, first, system restore because this is the simplest procedure. If this doesn't work try to reset the BIOS by disconnecting the laptop from any power source (disconnect the charger, remove the battery). If you can locate the comos battery by removing a cover at the bottom of the computer, pull it out for about 15 minutes. If you can't find it easilly don't do that. Reinstall the cmos battery and boot the computer. You will probably get an error message which will be cancelled by setting time and date in the BIOS.

If this doesn't succeed try system recovery or XP repair. If after that the problem remains then you have hardware problem which will need a professional assistance.

w0lverine

w0lverine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
awesome, thanks. also, what about generic USB 2.0 Drivers. i found some on driverguide.com that came from an asus mobo before microsoft made the big stink about usb drivers. will those cause more problems then they will solve, or should i give them a shot at least?