Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ActiveX problem

• Please log in to reply

Kevc66

Kevc66

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm having problems with Windows update page. I think it's an activex problem. When I go to the Windows Update page, all I get is a blank white page. In the bottom left section of the page the activity section says done. I am running Windows XP with SP2. Is there anywhere I can get a free activex download?

Thanks

Edited by Kevc66, 22 August 2007 - 02:12 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Make sure you are using Internet Explorer which has ActiveX built-in. Other browsers don't have it. You can't download ActiveX separately -- it's a standard component of IE.

If you are already using IE then disregard the above and try this.
Close Internet Explorer.
Open a command-prompt window and enter the following commands one at a time (press enter after each one):

regsvr32 jscript
regsvr32 vbscript
regsvr32 /i mshtml

This will update missing entries in your windows registry and (hopefully) fix your problem.
After completing the above commands I advise you to reboot before attemting to see if the problem is fixed.

Edited by pip22, 23 August 2007 - 08:03 AM.

Kevc66

Kevc66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello,
I followed your instructions. i am now able to get to the Windows update screen. I downloaded Internet Explorer 7.0. I tried to install it numerous times. The install will start. After a few second it stops. This screen appears:

Setup could not verify the integrity of the files needed for installation. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.

I checked. It is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kevin

Kevc66

Kevc66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Problem solved !!!!!

Thanks Pip22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin