Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Virus & such protection recommendations

• Please log in to reply

tkrause777

tkrause777

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have had it with Norton 2006! :whistling: As long as it was enabled I continued to have problems with e-mail & connecting to IE. So I have uninstalled and installed AVG from your downloads section. What other FREE programs (user freindly) are suggested to install to keep my system safe! :blink:

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
AVG Antivirus is the best free one of it's kind and since you can't have two AV programs installed at the same time there's no need to look for another one. However, you need to install an anti-spyware utility aswell, and AVG does a free one of those also: http://free.grisoft....pyware/us/frt/0

You should also install the free 'SpywareBlaster' which blocks malicious websites in IE or Firefox, using a pre-compiled blacklist which you update manually several times a month. You don't need to have SpywareBlaster running all the time. Just update it, configure it, and it will embed the blacklist into your browser.

Finally, if you are relying solely on the Windows XP firewall, it's better than nothing but is only 'half' a firewall since it only monitors incoming traffic, not outgoing traffic. The most popular free two-way firewall is ZoneAlarm:
http://www.zonealarm...t...=GB&lang=en

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I've had good luck with Avast AV and Adaware anti-spyware.... but as far as a firewall, ZoneAlarm is definitely top for me.