Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blank Screen (Have I posted incorrectly...no response yet)

• Please log in to reply

g.scott

g.scott

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Computer was running with no apparent problems - left for an hour or two, came back to a blank screen - no error message, just a blank screen. Power light is on, on the monitor. Turned off/on and received the same "no sync" message that always showed before, but then a blank screen.

Don't have another monitor to test (Our other computer is an I-mac). Is there anything I can do to diagnose this problem? Can the hard drive be hooked into the TV in order to see if it's the monitor? What are my options? How can I power down the computer?

Thanks,

Edited by g.scott, 22 August 2007 - 04:05 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi g.scott, welcome to Geeks to Go! You may not get immediate service here, just be patient and you will be helped no worries.

Have you tried moving the mouse? It might just be in standby.

Can you please confirm you have double checked the cable connections? Something may have come loose.
Is the computer running on onboard graphics or a separate card?

You can power down the computer by holding down the power button. Not the best option, but about the best when you can't see the screen. If you know you left it sitting on an empty desktop, I would try this: On your keyboard, press the "Start" button (or the one with the Windows logo on it) and then press up once (if you have the classic style menu as I do, otherwise press "U" instead of up), press enter, press "U" to turn off. That should shut it down.

Then you could try starting it again and see if anything works.

g.scott

g.scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No, it is not in stand by and i checked all cables/connections.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Did you try restarting it to see if that helps? How about hooking up the monitor with your iMac, are you able to do that? How old is the monitor?