Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with ping? during gaming

• Please log in to reply

Devmen

Devmen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi, ive been reading alot of articles and threads about ping spikes today, and im this is frustrating me.
I just moved to an apartment complex that has T1 connection at 1.5 mbps, and thats insanely fast compared to my internet at me previous location . I dont have any trouble downloading large files or surfing the web.

But when i try to play a game online, i get huge lag spikes. I'm not using wireless because the signal is pretty weak, and im running Vista Home Premium.
I dont know whats causing this, it seems like the lag every 5 minutes. i know alot of people share this connection, but it should be fine because normally i have low pings in games, but they just spike. I want to know whats causing the spikes. This occurs on my roommates computer as well. My first guess is Norton, because we both have norton.

thanks for any help!

-rob

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use this link to measure your real speed of download and upload. Choose a server close to your location. To make sure, test again with another server. Run the test at the evening when you know that many people share the connection. Repeat at another time of the day when people are not using the net.