Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Cannot uninstall Office 2007 Student & Home trial edition

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have just purchased a new Toshiba P205-S6307 laptop which runs Vista. It came pre-installed with the Office 2007 Student & Home trial (with a 25 use restriction). I am trying to uninstall this with Add/Remove Programs.I get an almost immediate error message of"Error 1310. Error writing to file C:\config.msi\5a6ab.rbf. Verify that you have access to that directory.

However, that directory is not even on the hard drive.

I gather that this directory is used when installing software to allow removal etc.

If so, Toshiba didn't ship that directory with the laptop.

How can I get around this error?

I wanted to uninstall the trial before installing the full edition of Office 2007. I didn't trust the install to go over the top of the trial edition.

Hmmmm. Played some more with this tonight. It seems that Add/Remove Programs cannot be used to uninstall the Office 2007 Student Edition supplied by Toshiba with the 25 use trial. It can be removed by using Start/All programs/Microsoft and then clicking the "remove" selection.

Sheesh...why would Microsoft do this???????

Edited by kevmeist, 23 August 2007 - 07:12 PM.