Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot uninstall Office 2007 Student & Home trial edition

• Please log in to reply

kevmeist

kevmeist

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have just purchased a new Toshiba P205-S6307 laptop which runs Vista. It came pre-installed with the Office 2007 Student & Home trial (with a 25 use restriction). I am trying to uninstall this with Add/Remove Programs.I get an almost immediate error message of"Error 1310. Error writing to file C:\config.msi\5a6ab.rbf. Verify that you have access to that directory.

However, that directory is not even on the hard drive.

I gather that this directory is used when installing software to allow removal etc.

If so, Toshiba didn't ship that directory with the laptop.

How can I get around this error?

I wanted to uninstall the trial before installing the full edition of Office 2007. I didn't trust the install to go over the top of the trial edition.

Kevin

Hmmmm. Played some more with this tonight. It seems that Add/Remove Programs cannot be used to uninstall the Office 2007 Student Edition supplied by Toshiba with the 25 use trial. It can be removed by using Start/All programs/Microsoft and then clicking the "remove" selection.

Sheesh...why would Microsoft do this???????

K

Edited by kevmeist, 23 August 2007 - 07:12 PM.

Advertisements