Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Belkin KVM has destroyed my usb capabilities!

• Please log in to reply

Mouton

Mouton

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a slightly aged, but still pretty sturdy, Shuttle MV43V mainboard which had been running perfectly until I introduced a KVM so that I could run an apple and an extra PC on one monitor. The KVM was a Belkin F1DH104U four port omniview doodah. Three months ago I booted everything up with this new KVM and something started burning in the shuttle PC. After switching it all off I couldn't initially see anything wrong so booted up again, no more burning. Then I realised my shuttle PC, PC2 and the apple weren't detecting any USB devices I'd attached to the KVM.

So I moved KVM USB cable to another socket on the shuttle computer. More burning smells and this time a few sparks. I took the cover off the PC and inspected the motherboard. Two of the little grey connector/resistors (I don't know their names - they're circled in attached image) had melted near to the onboard USB sockets. Ever since, no USB devices I plug into these four sockets (i'm guessing they're two sets of two in series) will draw power or are detected by the computer. The same is true for the apple, though I don't have access to any torx screwdrivers to take a look at the motherboard in that as well.

I contacted Belkin and they sent me a replacement KVM along with a seven port USB hub to use on my two remaining, front-loaded sockets. I used the new KVM for the monitor, but avoided the USB issue by only using the hub on my main shuttle PC. But then a few months later my computer refused to recognise anything attached to the hub. Apparently this is a common problem (see reviews here: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B0002AGD9K) So I had to use the KVM as a usb hub instead. This was fine the first couple of times...until pop! Last of my USB sockets destroyed and a big hole burned into my motherboard next to the header for the front-loading USBs. Arghghg.

Belkin say this problem has never been reported for this model of KVM, except by me. I've used this motherboard for 3yrs with billions of USB devices and never had a problem - so it's behaviour is rather self-incriminating. The only other thing I can think of that might have affected it is my surround sound speaker setup. I had the sound card (SB LIve! 5.1) output (from shuttle PC) going through the KVM as well, but only for the front speakers. The rear, centre and sub output went directly to the amp/controller. Could this have caused a short circuit? Surely USB and audio circuits would be separate? Sorry this is so long-winded, any ideas, anybody?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00559.JPG

Edited by Mouton, 24 August 2007 - 04:51 AM.

Advertisements