Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

where did the taskbar/toolbar go?/

• Please log in to reply

blueandthebeen

blueandthebeen

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My little girl keeps getting ahold of the mouse and when she does, she does something that drives me crazy. The toolbars/taskbars change. I no longer have a taskbar at the bottom of my screen. The start button and all my icons are gone. The 2 arrows for scrolling are on the right side now instead of the bottom but there isn't a start button or icons over there either. AND to top this nightmare off... the TOP toolbar is gone as well! Now it will show up when I put the cursor over the area, but right now I am looking at a completely huge window with no taskbars and toolbars in the way. Well I LIKE them in the way. Where the blazes did they go! And how do I get them back??? Please hurry before I put my fist through this screen! :whistling:

Heather

PS I have Windows XP and I'm just learning how to use it. I upgraded (wish I didn't) from Win 2000.

Advertisements

blueandthebeen

blueandthebeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Here's some more information. I googled the problem and got a tip. Sure enough it worked. When I press the windows key, the taskbar and start button show back up. So they have been scooted way down or something. However, I have tried putting the cursor over the edges to "grab" it to drag it up but it doesn't do that. How do I get it back up there? And what about the top toolbar where the address bar is and all the file>view>home>etc buttons are? Where is all the help today? Ya'll are usually faster than this. lol

blueandthebeen

blueandthebeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well it isn't that the taskbar has been pushed off the screen. I was finally able to drag it up some. It does no good. When I move the cursor away from it and click anywhere else, it disappears, only to reappear if I press the windows key. The top toolbar is the same way. Doesn't anybody know what the toddler could have done to make this change and how to restore it? Please????

Heather

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
How it happened may never be known, but it sounds like the Taskbar is set to Auto-hide.
To make it visible and permanent, open the Taskbar and Start Menu entry of the Control Panel.

In the dialog box that presents, uncheck the box for "Auto-hide the Taskbar."
Check the boxes for: "Lock the Taskbar" and "Keep the Taskbar on top of other windows."
Apply. OK.

As far as the "top toolbar" goes, I'll need to know more about it.
Is it on the Desktop?
Did you create it yourself?
Is it part of a specific application?

Please post back with your progress.

blueandthebeen

blueandthebeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I did a system restore and fixed the problem. Thanks!

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Thanks for letting us know.