Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio Issues

• Please log in to reply

Hedworx

Hedworx

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
After backing up my files, I had to format my HD and reload everything because I had a registry issue. My problem now is that I can connect my headphones and speakers to my pc, but can't get any sound out of the speakers. The headphones work fine. The way they are both connected is through a splitter that came with the headphones. Since the headphones were new when I formatted my HD, I can't remember if they both worked before.. :whistling:

I'm running XP pro, headphones are Turtle Beach and soundcard is Turtle Beach Riviera. I've checked in device manager and there are no exclamation or question marks. I've gone to sound manager (or whatever it's called that has the sliders for sound, mic etc..) and turned everythine up to 100% and made sure that nothing was muted. It shows a 2 speaker desktop arrangement in the speaker setup area (not sure the correct name for the menu).

What would be your next step?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well if the speakers are plugged into a splitter with the headphones have you tried the obvious and tried the speakers in the other side of the splitter? Are the speakers amplified speakers? Do they plug in to power? have you checked them for an on switch and a volume comtrol? Another possibility is that they are digital speakers and you have the sound card set to analog output.... IF that is the case you'd have to check the software that came with that sound card for a place to switch it to digital out.... or maybe your speakers are dead....

Hedworx

Hedworx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've tried plugging the speakers directly into the sound card and still get nothing. The speakers are powered and plugged into a subwoofer. The power on the subwoofer and the speakers are on...as shown by the LED light on both. The speakers have a test mode that spits out a static noise and everything sounds fine there...and yes I have the volume up. I've unplugged all of the cords attached to the speakers/subwoofer and reattached them just to make sure that I hadn't plugged something into the wrong place.....twice.

I didn't have a chance to mess with them last night, but tonight I'll look into the digital/analog settings. The sound card does support digital and analog so I'll look to see if there is a setting to specify which I'm using. I've been through every setting I could find but I may have passed this one up since I wasn't really looking for it in particular.

I appreciate your reply. I'll post again with more info on the settings or my solution if I find one.

Edited by Hedworx, 24 August 2007 - 09:41 AM.