Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hijackthis log [resolved]

• Please log in to reply

denverlynx

denverlynx

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I had noticed about a week ago that when I tried to open my 'Help and Support' that nothing would happen. The cursor would just flash rapidly for a time. Anyway, I recently was trying to get into McAfee to run a virus scan and it wouldn't open either. I spoke to the McAfee support and they thought I had a virus and had me run this application via DOS command line. It didn't find any viruses. They said to uninstall the McAfee stuff and reinstall. But, when I try to uninstall the ap nothing happens. A window flashes up. But its so quick I can't read it. I can't download any of their updates. It fails at the same point. I even try to run the install CD and it blows away. I haven't been able to get any further with them because they keep sending me this web page and it blows away my support session with them.

I've run Adware and its not picking anything up. I ran Spybot and it found these: (myWebSearch, Fun Products, etc). I think Spybot took care of them. I have run the WinSockFix utility but my internet still seems to be pretty slow. Web pages will need to be refreshed many times before the open. The Trend virus scan won't work for some reason. But, I have run some others and they aren't finding any viruses. I ran the pestscan.com and it found some more spyware that the others didn't find (CommonName.Toolbar, PowerReg Scheduler and ISTbar. I have also run sfc /scannow, scandisk, and defrag. I'm not receiving any error messages. Early on I had suspected something wrong with my IE. It was running terribly slow and is starting to run poorly again.

So, I just ran the Hijackthis and here is the log. Any advice at this point would be greatl appreciated.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:21:13 PM, on 4/13/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\progra~1\mcafee\MCAFEE~1\MssCli.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cisvc.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee\MCAFEE~1\MssSrv.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\My Download Files\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp_wave/defaults/sb/*http://www.yahoo.com/search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp_wave/defaults/sp/*http://www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee Privacy Service Popup Blocker - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.02.3000.1002\en-xu\stmain.dll
O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFTray] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [_AntiSpyware] c:\progra~1\mcafee\MCAFEE~1\MssCli.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: BHO Cop.lnk = C:\Program Files\BHOCop\BHOCop.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Pro - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: ppctlcab - http://ppupdates.ca.com/downloads/scanner/ppctlcab.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {2FC9A21E-2069-4E47-8235-36318989DB13} (PPSDKActiveXScanner.MainScreen) - http://ppupdates.ca.com/downloads/scanner/axscanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: McAfee AntiSpyware Real-Time Scanner (McAfeeAntiSpyware) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\progra~1\mcafee\MCAFEE~1\MssSrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Greetings denverlynx. Welcome to GTG. :tazz:

Sorry you were overlooked. If you still need help, please post another log.

denverlynx

denverlynx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No problem. I've been learning quite a bit about some of this stuff. I've cleaned up my log quite a bit. But, these 023 entries are a little bothersome. McAfee for the most part is removed form my system. There are some entries in the registry that I can't delete (error message). I'd like to clear those up.

I don't know if I've missed any other potential problems entries.

Here is my most up to date log...

Scan saved at 4:21:25 PM, on 4/21/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\DSLog.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrojanScanner] C:\Program Files\Trojan Remover\Trjscan.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /0
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {80DD2229-B8E4-4C77-B72F-F22972D723EA} (AvxScanOnline Control) - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/Msie/bitdefender.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: McShield - Unknown owner - (no file)
O23 - Service: mcupdmgr.exe - Unknown owner - (no file)
O23 - Service: MCVSRte - Unknown owner - (no file)
O23 - Service: TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service (TUWinStylerThemeSvc) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2004\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Thanks,
Shawn

denverlynx

denverlynx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
One other thing I meant to add is, when I click 'Fix Checked' it won't clear these entries. I have hijackthis in its own folder in 1 location on my PC. I have thried this with all application closed and even in safe mode. They won't go away.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
What anti-viral did you install to replace McAfee? You need some pronto.

Before we fix your log I need you to disable the Microsoft antispyware. Also the 06 may be blocking the fixes.

Run Hijack This and put a check mark next to these:

Reboot into safe mode and get rid of:

mcupdmgr.exe

Please scan your system with Ad-aware:
Ad-aware SE - Download - Home Page
  • If you have a previous version of Ad-Aware installed, during the installation of the new version you will be prompted to uninstall or keep the older version - be sure to uninstall the previous version.
  • After installing Ad-aware, you will be prompted to update the program and run a full scan. De-select all boxes so that it does not run.
  • Manually run "Ad-Aware SE Personal" and from the main screen Click on "Check for Updates Now".
  • Once the definitions have been updated:
  • Reconfigure Ad-Aware for Full Scan as per the following instructions:
    • Launch the program, and click on the Gear at the top of the start screen.
    • Under General Settings the following boxes should all be checked off: (Checked will be indicated by a green circle with a check mark in it, Un-Checked is a red circle with an X in it. If it is greyed out, those features are only available in the retail version.)
      • "Automatically save logfile"
      • Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal"
      • Safe Mode (always request confirmation)
      • Prompt to update outdated confirmation) - Change to 7 days.
    • Click the "Scanning" button (On the left side).
    • Under Drives & Folders, select "Scan within Archives"
    • Click "Click here to select Drives + folders" and select your installed hard drives.
    • Under Memory & Registry, select all options.
    • Click the "Advanced" button (On the left hand side).
    • Under "Shell Integration", select "Move deleted files to Recycle Bin".
    • Under "Log-file detail", select all options.
    • Click on the "Defaults" button on the left.
    • Type in the full url of what you want as your default homepage and searchpage e.g. http://www.google.com.
    • Click the "Tweak" button (Again, on the left hand side).
    • Expand "Scanning Engine" by clicking on the "+" (Plus) symbol and select the following:
      • "Unload recognized processes during scanning."
      • "Obtain command line of scanned processes"
      • "Scan registry for all users instead of current user only"
    • Under "Cleaning Engine", select the following:
      • "Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion."
      • "During removal, unload explorer and IE if necessary"
      • "Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot."
      • "Delete quarrantined objects after restoring"
    • Click on "Safety Settings" and select "Write-protect system files after repair (Hosts file, etc)"
    • Click on "Proceed" to save these Preferences.
    • Click on the "Scan Now" button on the left.
    • Under "Select Scan Mode, be sure to select "Use Custom Scanning Options".
  • Close all programs except ad-aware.
  • Click on "Next" in the bottom right corner to start the scan.
  • Run the Ad-Aware scan and allow it to remove everything it finds and then REBOOT - Even if not prompted to.
  • After you log back in, Ad-Aware may run to finalize the scan and remove any locked files that it may of found. Allow it to finish.
Please delete your temporary files. Double Click My Computer (WinXP: Navigate to Start --->My Computer)
You will see an icon representing your harddrive (most likely C: Drive) Right Click on the hard drive icon and click Properties at the
bottom of the fly out window. One the very first tab (General) you will see a button labeled "Disk Cleanup"...click that button.
Make sure the following are checked:
Downloaded Program Files
Temporary Internet Files and
Recycle Bin

Click OK and Disk Cleanup will delete those files for you.

If you would please, rescan with HijackThis and post a fresh log in this same topic.

denverlynx

denverlynx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

Below is my most recent log file. I followed your directions. I run Adware and spybot quite often.

I searched the had drive for: mcupdmgr.exe and I couldn't find it to delete it.

The 06 entry has been cleared. But, those 023 McAfee are still hanging out there.

Thanks again,
Shawn

Scan saved at 9:09:13 PM, on 4/21/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /0
O16 - DPF: {80DD2229-B8E4-4C77-B72F-F22972D723EA} (AvxScanOnline Control) - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/Msie/bitdefender.cab
O23 - Service: TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service (TUWinStylerThemeSvc) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2004\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

denverlynx

denverlynx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Woo-hoo! I was finally able to remove the 023 - McaFee entries. Here is my most up-to-date log file. Are there any other entries I should be a concerned about?

Thanks!

Scan saved at 7:58:28 PM, on 4/22/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Good news.

Congratulations! Your system is CLEAN :tazz:

How do you prevent spyware from being installed again? We strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster (it's free for personal use) Click Here.

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
Consumes no system resources.

Download, run, check for updates, download updates, select all, protect against checked. All done. Check for updates every couple of weeks. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file see the link at the bottom of the javacool page.

It's also very important to keep your system up to date to avoid unnecessary security risks. Click Here to make sure that you have the latest patches for Windows.

These next two steps are optional, but will provide the greatest protection.
1. Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend FireFox Posted Image.
2. Install Sun's Java. It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine .

It's okay to delete the Hijack This folder if everything is working okay.

After doing all these, your system will be thoroughly protected from future threats. ;)