Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speakers act up to cell phone

• Please log in to reply

Xiami

Xiami

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I didn't post this in the help forums since I'm not really asking for help.
I usually bring my cell phone with me when I go on the computer. When I send a text message, or right before I recieve one, my speakers make a wierd sound. It sounds like morse code (- . . - . . - . . -) and it's usually louder when I recieve a text than when I send one. Is this normal?
My network is ROGERS.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Yes, I hear the same issue.

googlymoogly

googlymoogly

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I get the same thing. I hear that I'm going to receive a call through my speakers before my cell phone even rings.... hehe. No problem afterwards while talking either on phone or through speakers though.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It's interference from the radio frequency used by the cell phone networks. Read more here.

Edited by sari, 23 August 2007 - 01:35 PM.
My original sentence was not grammatically well-written.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Do cell phones interfere with communications on airplanes?
Experts have debated for years whether it is safe to use cell phones on airplanes. Most of the evidence suggesting that it interferes with aviation equipment is anecdotal. But last year, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University concluded that cell phones can disrupt normal operation of key cockpit instruments, especially Global Positioning System receivers, which are increasingly vital for safe landings, according to Bill Strauss, an expert in aircraft electromagnetic compatibility at the Naval Air Warfare Center in Patuxent River, Md., and one of the researchers who conducted the study. Strauss said risks are caused by radio emissions from cellular calls that are higher than previously believed.

Bah, Mythbusters said it wasnt true, I believe them before some "expert" :whistling:

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Do cell phones interfere with communications on airplanes?
Experts have debated for years whether it is safe to use cell phones on airplanes. Most of the evidence suggesting that it interferes with aviation equipment is anecdotal. But last year, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University concluded that cell phones can disrupt normal operation of key cockpit instruments, especially Global Positioning System receivers, which are increasingly vital for safe landings, according to Bill Strauss, an expert in aircraft electromagnetic compatibility at the Naval Air Warfare Center in Patuxent River, Md., and one of the researchers who conducted the study. Strauss said risks are caused by radio emissions from cellular calls that are higher than previously believed.

Bah, Mythbusters said it wasnt true, I believe them before some "expert" :blink:

Agreed :whistling:

Best show ever as well :help:

Transience

Transience

Unofficial Music Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 2,448 posts
*Transience falls into line behind monster and jaxisland on this one.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Except that that wasn't really the point of this thread.

Think about it though. If they were to allow cell phone usage on planes, you could be stuck next to the person who not only had a bad problem with body odor, but he could spend most of the flight talking loudly on his cell phone about how his hemorrhoids were killing him and he couldn't wait to get the warts removed from his feet. If you think it's bad being stuck near loud cellphone talkers in a restaurant or a store, imagine being stuck on a plane with one of those people. At that point, you might be hoping that the interference would be on the phone end so he would have to hang up.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

If you think it's bad being stuck near loud cellphone talkers in a restaurant or a store, imagine being stuck on a plane with one of those people. At that point, you might be hoping that the interference would be on the phone end so he would have to hang up.

i once threw a guy's cellphone out of his hand and across a resteraunt because he was talking way too loud ("yeah...he'll have to call you back...once he finds his phone again" *chuck* *crash*)...i know that we're a busy country...with a digitally connected workforce...but keep the volume down at a resteraunt