Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive Buggers everything up

• Please log in to reply

gordocro

gordocro

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I just upgraded my hard drive on my Dell computer from a 80 GB to a 500 GB. The drive seems to be working fine but seems to have caused unrelated errors.

1. My computer no longer recognizes my sound card.
2. My computer no longer recognizes my network card.
3. Often (but not always) when I put a CD Rom or DVD data disc in either of my disc drives the computer freezes and I have to restart manually.

Can these errors really be due to the new hard drive? My last hard drive had some Dell sector on it, is it possible that is required to recognize the above mentioned hardware?

Please help! Thank you.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How did you "upgrade"?

Did you use your Dell CD on the new drive to wipe it? Its more likely that the machine doesn't know how to talk to your network card and your sound card, or did you use a utility such as Ghost to copy the lot over?

Best thing to do is find your Service Tag number stuck somewhere on the Dell, bash it into Dell's site and download your network and sound drives from there. They should then work>

gordocro

gordocro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for your reply. I got some drivers from Dell and my network card and sound card are working now but am having other troubles and thinking of restarting the process. I still have the old hard drive but it is corrupt but functional. I needed to change it as it wasn't working how it should have. I have a secondary 160 GB drive which works fine and is used for storage.

Can you suggest the best and easiest way to install the new drive? Thanks.

gordocro

gordocro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It seems like there are tons of errors on my new drive. Can someone please suggest the best way to format and install a new hard drive. I have alrady move all my files out of the old drive. Do I have to create a boot disk or copy drivers or something. I'm sorry but this is the first time I am doing this.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
One question which Hard Drice do you use for your Windows? Also do you have a Windows CD so that when you reformat you can install fresh?

Soorena