Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgraded graphics card worth it for me?

• Please log in to reply

PGriff

PGriff

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Let me start by saying I am going to buy a new graphics card, I just don't know which one. Originally I was thinking of getting an 8800gts, but I am afraid it might be overkill because I only have AMD Athlon 64 x2 duo 4200+.

I found some RAM that was really cheap, so I upgraded that to 3 gigs total. But I don't know if my processor can keep up with the 8800 or is it smarter backing down to the 7950?

Help would be appreciated. Thank you. :whistling:

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Your processor is fine. An 8800GTS 320mb would be great and would not be too much for your CPU.
And buying a DirectX 9 card when all of these new DirectX 10 games are coming out would be very dissatisfying.

Edited by jackflash1991, 23 August 2007 - 10:15 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Yes I agree with jackflash1991, go with the 8800GTS if you can afford it.

PGriff

PGriff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks.
That settles it then. I'll have to dig deep in the wallet, but I think it will be worth it. Also, i'll need a new PSU. Can anyone reccomend a good PSU to run with the 8800 gts?

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I like Antec, but to find out your exact power requirements especially on the +12V rail I would use eXtreme Power Supply Calculator v2.5:
http://www.extreme.o...ucalculator.jsp
Try the lite version then I would strongly suggest you use the Pro version to get the +12V rails and others. The power supply is the most important component of the computer and can't be skimped on.

Edited by jackflash1991, 24 August 2007 - 12:05 PM.

PGriff

PGriff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks.

I did the power calculator and it told me that I only needed about 390 Watts, but I think I am going to purchase a PSU with a minimum 500 watts just to be safe.

What do you guys think of this: 500W

I read some of the reviews and they seemed pretty good. A few people were running some 8800 gts's, so it should be sufficient. But, as you said, I probably shouldn't skimp on this cause I don't want to fry my whole computer. So if anyone thinks I am going to cheap on this please tell me. Thanks.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I would go for a PSU that has a high efficiency level. A more efficient PSU means less heat and it won't use as much power to run it. This Antec has one of the highest efficiency ratings, over 80%, and is the same price after mail and rebate: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371007

But 300 watts seems kinda low. What are your system specs: CPU, video card, amount of RAM, and any others?

Edit: I think on the PSU calculator you forgot to do the last step under "Power Supply Adjustments" called "Capacitor Aging".

Edited by jackflash1991, 24 August 2007 - 05:57 PM.

PGriff

PGriff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Specs:
CPU--AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Video Card--Geforce 6150(Way too old) Soon to be 8800 gts 320mb
RAM--3gb at 333 mhz (I know its kind of slow, but is it too slow??)

You were right about me skipping the capacitator aging, but thats because I had no idea what it was. I tried to do some research but still don't really understand what it is. When I set that at 50% it jumped up to a required watts of 538 and at 10% it was 409. So I guess i might have to go a little higher on my PSU, unless I can pin down my capacitator aging thing.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Next to everything that does not make sense their is a little number next to it. Click it and it will bring you to the bottom of the page that has a reference section for Capacitor Aging it says:

Electrolytic capacitor aging. When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a power supply will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity. We recommend you add 10-20% if you plan to keep your PSU for more than 1 year, or 20-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years.

So to be safe I would set it at 35% and tell me your new score with everything filled out. And if you are not sure about something then ask because it can mess up your score.

Edited by jackflash1991, 24 August 2007 - 08:41 PM.

PGriff

PGriff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok thanks. I haven't put too much use on this and it isn't that old so I don't think I will need to go above 20%. I didn't plan on getting into games so much when I bought this computer, so I was kind of underprepared I guess. That PSU that you recomended should still be ok.

And do you think that my RAM is too slow (333mhz). If so, is there anyway to increase the speed?

Thanks for the help.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Overclocking it.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I recommend getting THIS power supply. OCZ is a great and reliable brand and for the price its worth every penny.

Soorena

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
That seems a little overkill. But it is a nice PSU.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153059

This one provides enough juice for that graphics card, a little bit cheaper than SOORENA's option.