Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access programs after logging in

• Please log in to reply

megapax

megapax

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have windows xp which came installed on my dell dimension e510 desktop. The computer stars up ok and the log on screen appears with the five users listed as normal. But when anyone logs in not all the programs appear on the bottom task bar. The start button still appears but Zone Alarm and my net zero wireless icons among others do not load. The other icons still appear on the screen as usual, but if I try to access any programs by clicking the icons or through the star menu, I get the error message, "Windows cannot access the specified drive, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access this item." This started happening intermittently a couple weeks ago and rebooting did help, but now it is a permanent condition. I can access existing documents and photos but cannot open any programs, including help and support or any windows utilities.

Advertisements