Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel Centrino Duo Exchange

• Please log in to reply

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I was thinking of upgrading the processor in my Toshiba Satellite R20 tablet PC, but I wasn't sure what new Intel processor replaces this one. I just want to be sure that I don't brick my laptop.
It's an Intel Mobile 945GM Chipset. The core type is a T2300, Centrino Duo.
It currently runs at 1.66GHz, and I was looking to upgrade to something around 2.33GHz if possible.

Or, how do you go about (safely) overclocking this processor?

[EDIT] It's been answered. Thanks to James and soxrok for the comments.

Edited by ShadowPhoenix, 26 August 2007 - 01:38 AM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Laptop's are in the most part unupgradeable, you can change the RAM, hard drive and screen (if it breaks, of course you can't change it to a larger or smaller size). Some laptop's still actually have their processors soldered into the motherboard making the upgrade impossible. While this may or may not be the case for your laptop/notebook changing the processor will change the heat output thus making the laptop hotter. Now lays your problem, your laptop was specifically designed to cool your laptop for the hardware that it was sold with, thus adding new hardware with greater heat output will result in overheating and possible crashes and/or breaking your computer.
Same thing applies to overclocking laptops, they aren't designed to cool any more then they need to, simply because the laptop manufactures don't want to make it larger (better cooling generally translates into larger materials) and louder.
In short, I highly recommend against any processor upgrades and strongly recommend you don't overclock your laptop.
James

Edited by james_8970, 26 August 2007 - 04:45 PM.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
agreed strongly with james- never overclock your lappy as the hardware they put in those laptops are bare minimal of what you really need to skid by...if your lookin to upgrade your machine, its better to buy something new with the parts in it

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ah, ok. I wasn't sure about how the laptop upgrades went, other than the RAM. Thanks for the info.