Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I think my registry is corrupted

• Please log in to reply

iamsleepy_58

iamsleepy_58

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I downloaded WordWeb on my daughter-in-laws computer. It worked fine. She doesn't have AdWatch. It worked so well that I d/loaded it on my computer. I also d/loaded IE Privacy Keeper on her system with no problem. When I put in on my system...when I closed IE, all I got was a blue (blank) page. I had to turn the computer off with the off/on button. When it rebooted, AdWatch popped up a box and had about 4 registry values that had changed. It said I could allow or block. I had no idea what it was. I chose block and then clicked on the "automatic" button to stop all the pop ups. Since then, I cannot open anything on my computer. IE will not open. None of my scans will open. I get the msg that Windows doesn't know what program created a file. The icons are just blank like they're not associated with anything. I have a file on my desktop with web links that were saved to this file directly from the web. These are the only things that will open. That's how I got here. I clicked on one of those and in the address bar, got to this site. AND it seems I can surf the web from any of the IE web links that I had previously saved. I rebooted in safe mode, upon boot, I see a box that has some strange symbols in it. I can close that box and safe mode (with c>) begins. From the c> I am able to do a sys restore. That didn't fix anything. My restore will not work in booting normally or in safe mode. Error is "windows cannot open this file and don't know what to associate it with". Seems I can run restore from the c>. I might could run other programs, like a Ccleaner back up, or RegFix back up, but I don't know how. I called a computer geek that I know and he said I might could re-install AdAware or another registry fix program and that might work, but he really wasn't sure. All I did was install IE Privacy and WordWeb on my computer. Can anyone help me?

I have HP Pavilion WinXP Home SP2, AdAware SE Plus (runs on start up), AdMuncher (start up), Zone Alarm (startup), AVG (startup) RegFix (manually), CCleaner (manually), SpyBot (manually).

My daughter in laws has Compac WinXP Home SP2, Zone Alarm, AVG, AdMuncher-all run on start up.

Good Grief, I say!!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

iamsleepy_58

iamsleepy_58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you Keith. I have printed your instructions. I will post back and let you know how it turns out.