Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading CPU (dual core vs. quad core) and mobo

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I just want to put one thing out here about the gigabyte boards with the P35 chipsets, they cannot do a FSB:DRAM ratio of 1:1 which could potentially limit your overclock depending on how hard you're trying to push your chip. However, there are two new revisions, 1.1 and 2.0 (just about to be released) which may have solved this issue. Other then that I have had nothing but a positive experience, also if your curious, the board I have is the P35-DS3P.
James

Edited by james_8970, 26 August 2007 - 05:11 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I found some P35 chipset motherboards with 2 PCI-Express x16, but the manufacturer's webpage was talking about them supporting ATI's crossfire, which isn't really helpful. I'm not exactly sure if you could still run Nvidia SLI on them.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813127022
If you read the reviews on this one, they have said it's no good for overclocking, so maybe that's what Titan8990 was getting at? It does look like a good board, though, with your 650i chipset.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813188015
This one has good rebates, it's a 680i chipset for a very good price.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128044
This one looks really good to me also, it's a 650i chipset with a really good build quality.

I think it's funny though, because you really have to be careful about reading the reviews. You often find people will say something like "I overclocked my 1.8GHz processor to 3GHz on this board easy" and stuff like that, as well as people just giving them rubbish because they are incompetent...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The chipset has a limitation of forcing the second PCIe slot into 4x when crossfire is enabled.
nVidia will not release the SLI technology to Intel, so no P35 chipset motherboard will run SLI.
You can run nVidia cards on the P35, but you will not be able to enable SLI.
James

Edited by james_8970, 26 August 2007 - 05:53 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Sorry to do this but I am screwing all of the Nvidia boards. It is hard to really think things out. I realized that my card is a good one, 3rd best on the market according to the Tom's Hardware VGA Chart, so I realized that it will be able to put out enough performance without SLI. At least until the next Nvidia 9 series cards and DirectX 11 and then I would probably end up just getting a new card instead of SLI.
So what are some good non-SLI boards that are great, other then that awesome Abit IP35-E that

you can likely get a 50% overclock.

?

Sorry for switching my mind so spontaneously. :whistling:

Edited by jackflash1991, 26 August 2007 - 08:46 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well James has this board P35-DS3P, and as he has said, he's very happy with it. The P35-DS3R is a little cheaper and would probably give you about the same performance.

Don't forget that 50% overclock would be with a quality cooling setup.

EDIT: If you click on this link, it takes you to admin's Abit mobo - then click on "View all 4 Combos" down the bottom to see some good newegg deals...

Edited by ruthandtroy, 27 August 2007 - 12:47 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Ignore

Edited by Titan8990, 27 August 2007 - 01:03 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Don't forget that 50% overclock would be with a quality cooling setup.

I'm running the stock cooler. :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I just want to put one thing out here about the gigabyte boards with the P35 chipsets, they cannot do a FSB:DRAM ratio of 1:1 which could potentially limit your overclock depending on how hard you're trying to push your chip. However, there are two new revisions, 1.1 and 2.0 (just about to be released) which may have solved this issue.
James

Unless you have really good RAM, this will likely hold you back, I'm still unsure as if this is a chipset limitation, board limitation or just requires a BIOS update. If I have a moment today I'm going to take a look around and try and figure out what the revision fixed and whether or not my recent BIOS flash fixed the issue.
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
That Abit IP35-E seems very inticing with a 50% overclock. Do any of the GIGABYTEs or any other brands get an overclok like that?
I was reading the reviews and the Abit IP35-E seems to have a little bit better reviews then the GIGABYTEs, but that might be because their are less of them.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
To be honest, I have yet to hear anything negative about the P35 chipset in regards to overclocking performance. Each board is relatively similar and will achieve close to the same results.
Take a look at these two articles from tomshardware, note they are a bit older and revisions have surficed, but you'll understand the general idea that all these boards are great overclockers.
http://www.tomshardw...4ghz/page6.html
http://www.tomshardw...oards_compared/
James

Edited by james_8970, 27 August 2007 - 05:53 PM.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I did a power search on Newegg and got this: http://www.newegg.co...p;Order=REVIEWS
The two boards with the most reviews was the ABIT IP35-E and GA-P35-DS3R. For the GA-P35-DS3R under memory it says

(Only support the memory on the Memory Support List on the official website)

I took a peek at the list and my memory is not on their. I have some kinda funky memory that the manufatures of my computer gave me. I may upgrde in the future to better RAM but to be safe I think I might go with the ABIT IP35-E.
Anyone have any objections?

PS: Thanks for those articles James.

PSS: The only thing that I was curious about was on the GA-P35-DS3R. It has a coaxial connection, Is that coaxial out or in?

Edited by jackflash1991, 27 August 2007 - 07:19 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What RAM do you have? Can you give us a link?

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I have had a hard time finding the exact RAM but it has a crosshair and a valueselct logo and the # is VS1GB667D2

Edit: Oh wait, found it, here: http://www.newegg.co...Inc.-_-20146580
I have 2GBs of it.

Edited by jackflash1991, 27 August 2007 - 09:35 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

The two boards with the most reviews was the ABIT IP35-E and GA-P35-DS3R. For the GA-P35-DS3R under memory it says

(Only support the memory on the Memory Support List on the official website)

I took a peek at the list and my memory is not on their. I have some kinda funky memory that the manufatures of my computer gave me. I may upgrde in the future to better RAM but to be safe I think I might go with the ABIT IP35-E.

When I was having RAM issues I was rather shocked at that list and annoyed, but realized that it was only listing 1.8V RAM, the standard voltage of DDR2 memory. However on this board like every other board that I'm aware of you need to increase the voltages for the enthusiast RAM. Simply put, ignore that list as it has no significance, if you know how to increase VDIMM voltages, which of course will be needed on any other motherboard as well.
James

Edit: that value RAM will very likely hold you back when overclocking before any motherboard does.

Edited by james_8970, 27 August 2007 - 09:36 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Edit: that value RAM will very likely hold you back when overclocking before any motherboard does.

Things are really starting to rack up. If I were to go ahead and get better RAM would this be good? $60 http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227139
It is the cheapest thing I can find that meets the specs for the board.

PS: what is with all of the OCZ gold and platinum and crap for around the same price. Is their a difference?

Edited by jackflash1991, 27 August 2007 - 10:00 PM.