Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

worth getting vista?

• Please log in to reply

dont panic

dont panic

• Pip
  • 9 posts
all in all should i upgrade to vista? stayed put with xp for a while and im still not sure...

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Unless you want Vista for DirectX10 gaming it's not going to be worth your $120.

dont panic

dont panic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
well i guess not... is it true that some programs dont work well with vista?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I have recently asked on other forums "is there a backward migration to XP from vista" that is from noting just how many posts were requesting how to do just that, it would seem that there is indeed a fair number of people who have either not had their programs working in vista or not been able to upgrade their hardware, also vista demands much more from ones system than XP

put simply, the fact that you are asking this question after vista has been out this long, kind of answers your question for you, and unless someone else here can point out why you should upgrade, I suggest you don't

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
It depends. I personally have had a lot of fun with it. It is a little difficult with some old programs and things just don't work. If you are a gamer my answer is yes and no. Some games don't work like Rainbow Six: Vegas. But on the other hand DirectX 10. Most new games that are coming out support Vista though. If you just built a new rig and need an OS I would get vista. But if you are good with xp I would sit still for the SP1 for Vista to upgrade. Or if you are acing for some DirectX 10 gaming then go ahead. I haven't had that drastic difficulties with it and all of the new features are kick [bleep].

Edited by jackflash1991, 24 August 2007 - 06:20 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
All the games on my computer work properly, including Rainbow Six: Vegas, great game buy the way. Had problems with artifacts at the beginning, but it was due to the fact that the game doesn't support widescreen, there is a fix for this.
There is the compatibility backdrop in vista just like there was in XP.
Remember you need a DX10 graphics card if you wish to play in DX10 (as well as vista).
James