Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Forgotten Password to Admin account

• Please log in to reply

MizzLi

MizzLi

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
I've set up three accounts onto my win XP computer, unfortunately the Administrator has forgotten her password and the the other two accounts are not administrator accounts. Do you know anyway I can retrieve the password or do I have to reformat the pc?

Many thanks in advance!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi MizzLi.

Is the Administrator user actually using the default Administrator user name to log in? Or is he/she using his/her own UserName that is part of the Computer Administrators security group?

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your reply! Erm... this is a home computer and there's only three accounts between myself, my mum and my brother. Ok, I am the one with the administrator account but I was away for seven months so when I got back I forgot the password. So now because the other accounts don't have administrator rights, I can't reset or delete my account. I don't really know how to reset the password?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Okay. When you sign into the computer, what is the username you use, either by clicking it on the Welcome Screen or typing it into the log-in box?

If it's something other than Administrator, there may be hope.

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Ah ok, the username for the Administrator account is Hai-Man, I click on it and then I have to type my password into the box, which is forgotten. :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
There's hope then.

Log off of your user account or reboot the computer. At the Welcome Screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to open the classic log-in shell. Type in administrator as the user name and leave the password blank. Press OK. If this logs you into Windows, click the Start button, Run..., and key in control userpasswords. Highlight your user name and click Reset Password.

Did that help?

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Thanks for your solution, I've tried it but it hasn't worked. It's just come up with the user unrecognized. Is there a way I can reset it via the user accounts?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You get that error while trying to log in using administrator as the user name?

If the other accounts on the computer are limited, they will not be able to reset your password.

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
yep I get that error when I try to log in as administrator. Does that mean I have to reformat?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, you're best option at this point is to format your drive and install Windows fresh. Don't forget to back up all your data!! If you need additional instructions, please post back.

Good luck!