Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Danger Spyware fix!

• Please log in to reply

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Looks like the folks at smart security finally made a removal tool for the infection that puts their name on your desktop.
I found this link in the forums here, someone else had posted it, but this should be more publicly announced.

http://www.smart-sec...fo/removal.html

I wish this was around when the bug hit my machine :mad: ...good luck all!

Advertisements

glas002

glas002

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My experience of their removal tool (so far) is that it gets rid of the ad and returns icons and right-click funtionality to desktop BUT doesn't remove the spyware and adware gremilins that come with it. (As demonstrated by my online ActiveScan posted under my nic)

It's a good step in the right direction though :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Getting the desktop back seems like a pretty good start to me! When I caught that bug, the fine folks here were getting it cleaned, through many painful steps, and recovering the desktop was still a mystery. This does much of it automatically!

I know from experience that the microsoft anti-spyware program will at least stop the bug from self-replicating, as long as you choose "block " everytime it tries to add itself to the registry.
Does anyone know if anti-spyware cleans up the crap the infection leaves behind? (I have been bug free, so I dont know if they have added signatures for it yet.)

the microsoft anti-spyware is free, and personally I consider it a must-have. The tools that are listed at the top of these forums will clean up most of the crud as well.

I know what a bummer this hijack is, so anything that defeats it is good news to me, and should be shared.

audioboy

audioboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Oh yeah, if you follow the directions posted on the link, you will clean up all the crud left behind. It has to be done manually, since the bug creates random three letter files on your machine/registry.
If you arent sure what something is, google it. You dont want to remove something that you actually use, and screw up the computer big time. And the helpful staff on this forum can help out if needed.

http://www.smart-sec...fo/removal.html

At least smart-security was decent enough to provide a tool to remove the grief their "advertisers" wrought upon us.

audioboy

audioboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
*bump*