Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yay Another Firefox Problem..

• Please log in to reply

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
..Well FireFox has always given me one problem after another but I can't stand other browsers. Now whenever I click the "Browse" button, say, to upload a picture or something, or another button that needs a pop-up, nothing happens. I'm using Opera right now but I really don't like it that well and I was wondering if there's anything I can do to fix the FireFox problem..Thanks.

Advertisements

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
FireFox has this problem with most sites since most sites are required to have I.E. and usually sites give warnings about not using FireFox because it may not work. FireFox is "out there" where nothing can touch it. FireFox doesn't use ActiveX which most sites require it to run certain things and ActiveX is a easy way to get malware and that's what makes FireFox safe is because ActiveX can't be installed on it. No other browser uses ActiveX though besides I.E..

You have better luck not using FireFox.

Edited by FCCAGut, 24 August 2007 - 02:34 PM.

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Thanks for replying. :blink: Are there any other browsers that you could recommend, besides Opera, that offer tabbed Browsing and give users less grief?

Again, thanks. :whistling:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

FireFox has this problem with most sites since most sites are required to have I.E. and usually sites give warnings about not using FireFox because it may not work. FireFox is "out there" where nothing can touch it. FireFox doesn't use ActiveX which most sites require it to run certain things and ActiveX is a easy way to get malware and that's what makes FireFox safe is because ActiveX can't be installed on it. No other browser uses ActiveX though besides I.E..

You have better luck not using FireFox.

This isn't really accurate. I use Firefox, and it's very rare that I encounter a site that doesn't work with it. I also get a message that my browser is not compatible, so I know to use IE on those sites. Firefox would not be as successful as it is if it worked on as few sites as you claim.

ILoveDaniel, I've never encountered that problem. I don't know if it would be worth uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox. It seems to me it's a problem with your particular install, not Firefox in general.

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Okay, I deleted FireFox through Add/Remove programs and am about to go back to the FireFox site to re-download it. Would it be necessary for me to download the very latest version (which I just got rid of) or would it be a good idea to download previous versions, or would that cause problems? Thanks.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Never download an earlier version of Firefox. The FF updates are security updates as well as bug fixes. Would you check the Tools>Options>Content tab and enter the sites you want to allow pop-ups on? As Sari said, FF rarely presents problems to a user unless it's a security thing.

Ron

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Alright, I'll download the latest version and go from there. *Wishes self luck*

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Please excuse my double post.

Well, needless to say, uninstalling completely Firefox and reinstalling it did absolutely no good. The problem still persists. Shall I just make a permanent change to Opera browser?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
ILoveDaniel,

When you say "Now whenever I click the "Browse" button, say, to upload a picture or something, or another button that needs a pop-up, nothing happens.", is this a recent problem, or has this never worked? Firefox does block popups by default. You should get a yellow bar at the top of the browser window telling you that a popup has been blocked, and the option to change how Firefox should treat popups on this site. If it's a recent problem, can you pinpoint anything that might have changed about the time it started happening?

Secondly, when you say "click the Browse button", do you mean on a site such as this, where you might be browsing your PC to upload a file?