Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Password Protect Folders in Windows XP?

• Please log in to reply

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Is it possible to password protect folders in Windows XP?
If not, why didn't the makers of Windows put that feature in their software?

I have items I save that I would like to just keep in a folder and protect that folder with a password.
Any way of doing so?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
To password protect a folder in XP, you first need to make a password for your username. Then, go to the folder you want to protect, and right click on it and select properties. Then go to the "sharing" tab, and check "make this folder private". Now, only people logged in under your username can see this folder. For this reason, it is important to make sure you log out once you're done using the computer, to make sure the folder stays private.

Btw, what does this have to do with Microsoft Office?

Edited by stettybet0, 24 August 2007 - 01:00 PM.

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thank you.

Sorry, I guess I was thinking I had word docs and was thinking to post my question here.
I apologize for posting in the incorrect thread.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Piratesmate, 24 August 2007 - 11:01 PM.