Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my mobo confused?

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I had my RAM in slots 1 and 3 because I have a dual channel mobo.

When I had the RAM in slots 1 and 3, I ran a CPU-Z test and it showed that my RAM was in slots 1 and 2

When I moved my RAM to slots 1 and 2, the CPU-Z test showed that they're in 2 and 4.

Is the CPU-Z wrong or does my mobo have its wires crossed?

Is there another test that I can run to find out where my mobo finds my RAM is located?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you started counting no. 1 as the slot closest to the cpu and inserted the second module to the theird slot then you are OK and just ignore the cpu-z or whatever it's called.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Yes, RAM slot 1 is the slot closest to the CPU, the next is 2 and the next is 3. They're also color coded. 1 and 3 are green, and 2 and 4 are yellow.

I've been having a lot of problems with my pc, running very slow, so I've been running a lot of tests. CPU-Z is a benchmark test, but I don't know why it would report the wrong slots.

Thanks for replying . . . I appreciate it.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
So, are you saying that no matter what the CPU-Z Tack Test says, slot #1 is closest to my CPU, then 2, 3 and 4?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The slow computer can be the result of lots of other problems. In fact most of these problems are related to software and not to hardware. Regarding the RAM: If the computer identifies the two modules (In controll panel > System it shows the total RAM that you have as it should be) then the problem is not there. If you run on dual mode it doesn't make that much difference compared to single mode. Had you have a defective module the computer would have crashed.

If you wish to speed up your computer take the following initial steps:

Please do the following: (For downloads use links in the list of programs below).

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Choose selective startup. Go to the "startup" tab and uncheck everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only antimalware programs running. (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon ebooting you will see a message that should be checked.

2: Download and run ccleaner. Run the "cleaner" and "issues" options a number of times until nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "issues") when prompted to do so.

3: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. Use Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Anti-Spyware and Adaware SE. Run your Antivirus. Run full system scans (all files), preferably in safe mode. Run the programs one at a time,

4: Run disk defragmantation. Click start > all programs > accessories > system tools > disk defragmenter.

5: Download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags system and page files which are not defragged by other means. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

6: Press ctr+alt+del to enter task manager. Under Performance tab look for "physical memory". Please report Total and Available.

7: Enter "My Computer", right-click drive C: > properties. Please report Capacity and Free Space of your hard disk.

8: Download Everest and run it. Go to Computer > Sensor. Wait few seconds until the table fills up. Please report temperatutes of cpu, HD and motherboard.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
System Properties show that I have 2.01 GHz, 1.93Gb of RAM, but it doesn’t say whether the RAM are in the rights slots for my dual channel mobo. The mobo manual says that the RAM should be in slots 1 and 3. I inserted the RAM in slots 1 and 3 for dual channel but the CPU-Z report says that I don’t have them in 1 and 3, that they’re in slots 1 and 2.

1. Done already. Only Dantz and Retrospect could be stopped as the others are necessary.

2. I have X64. When I first got it, Ccleaner deleted files that are needed by X64. I now use Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal, and it's safe for X64.

3. Done several times.

4. Done many times and I use Power Deframenter GUI also.

5. I downloaded and installed PgDfrg. When I tried to set it to start at next reboot, I received a message that I wasn’t the Administrator. I rebooted and logged in as Administrator again. No one else uses my pc. I tried to open PgDfrg again but my computer froze. I rebooted and tried to open an WordDoc, but my computer froze. I double clicked on PgDfrg again but nothing happened. I had to do a hard reboot and I deleted PgDfrg.

6. Physical memory = 2029948, Available memory 1461703 (number constantly changing)

7. 48.8G capacity, 31.7G available

Everest Report

Sensor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)

Temperatures:
CPU 33 °C (91 °F)
Seagate ST3320620AS 44 °C (111 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 4219 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.33 V
+2.5 V 1.14 V
+3.3 V 3.33 V
+5 V 4.92 V
+12 V 11.90 V
+5 V Standby 4.92 V
VBAT Battery 3.07 V

I bought a system fan and attached it to the case but the cable is about 1" too short to fit into the socket, so I need to buy an extension.

I've attached a copy of the results of the HD Tack test which I ran a few days ago after rebooting.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

7: Enter "My Computer", right-click drive C: > properties. Please report Capacity and Free Space of your hard disk.

My hdd is partitioned. I quoted the size of my C drive. The hdd has a total of 300G with 105G free.

My pc has

- Biostar TFORCE 6100-939 mobo which supports dual channel ddr
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-G hard drive
- AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz / 512KB Cache / 1000MHz FSB / Venice / Hyper-Transport / OEM / Socket 939 / Processor
- Corsair 620W PSU
- Windows XP X64, SP2
- Ballistix 2x1G RAM, 184-pin DIMM,128MX64 DDR PC3200, Unbuffered
- NetFramework 2.0 Redistributable Pack for X64

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.33 V
+2.5 V 1.14 V
+3.3 V 3.33 V
+5 V 4.92 V
+12 V 11.90 V
+5 V Standby 4.92 V
VBAT Battery 3.07 V

It looks like your power supply is having some issues...

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I built this pc. To make a very long story short, because this has been going on since January, when I installed a SATA 4-port card and connected 2 eSATA drives to it and turned one of them on, my computer shut down. The PSU and my FDD were fried. I bought the Corsair 620W and a new FDD and cable sometime in February or March. I installed the PSU right away but I waited to install the FDD. When I did, sparks flew. I disconnected the cable from the FDD and pulled the plug from the wall right away. I just bought a new FDD and cable and installed them and they work good.

Instead of my PSU being bad, could it be that my mobo/ports were damaged? I never got to see how this pc would have worked because the damage was done before I got to use it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm not too sure, all I noticed was that some of the voltages were under, the top one by more than half! It could be the motherboard or it could be the PSU, I'm guessing the PSU

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The details that you supplied are fery important. First, never, ever, disconnect/connect a hardware piece while the [power is on unless it's a usb device. It's very possible that some hardware damage occured. Please do the following:

1: Just for test purposes repeat step 1 (in msconfig uncheck everything. Disconnect your internet connection and uncheck even the antimalware programs. After the test you will check it back). Let us know if there is any significant change in the computer's speed.

2: Download and install Sandra XI. Use the link in my list of programs below. Folow these instructions:

How to create a Sandra XI report.

Important Note: Sandra, like all computer test programs, stresses computer components beyond the average use. This is necessary to discover weaknesses in the system. On the other hand, if the system is in a marginal state a permanent failure of components may occur . Before running the program make sure to save any unsaved data.

Download Sandra XI using the link in my signature. Please note that if you run XP 64 you need a different version of Sandra then when using XP 32. Install and run the program.

Click on Tools and then on Create Report. Follow the instructions and when given the options uncheck everything which you do not need to test. Choose a place in which to save the report. The report can be very long and complex so do not attach it to your post unless specifically asked to do so.

Run the program. The test is quite long. On my computer just testing the hardware takes about 40 minutes. At the top righthand corner there is an idicator that shows that the test is running. At the end look at the report on the screen and report items which did not pass the test successfully.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I started running the Sandra test at around 1 pm today, EST. It's now 6:36 pm. Sandra took 1½ to analyze my mainboard when I stopped the test. I started the test a second time, with just the Mainboard checked. I waited about 1/2 hr and it didn't finish. I'm not sure if the results are saying that my mainboard is faulty so that it can't be tested.

I don't know if the subjects of the tests passed the tests or if the tests just finished successfully, when it said "Finished Successfully"

and I don't know what this means: "The module may not be compatible with your computer's current configuration."

Since I can't find the report that was generated, this is the info that I copied to my clipboard:

SiSoftware Sandra

Saving Report...
File : Sisoftware Sandra System Report 082607.txt
Connection : Local Computer
Device Type : Desktop

The following all finished successfully.

Server Status

Report Comments

Computer Overview

Processor Arithmetic

Processor Multi-Media

Power Management Efficiency

.NET Arithmetic

.NET Multi-Media

File Systems

Physical Disks

Memory Bandwidth

Memory Latency

Cache and Memory

Internet Connection

Mainboard Configuration

SiSoftware Sandra

Saving Report...
File : System Report.txt
Connection : Local Computer
Device Type : Desktop

Create Report
Finished Successfully : Yes

Mainboard
Analysing...
Error : Execution has failed!

The module may not be compatible with your computer's current configuration.

Create Report
Error : Operation aborted by your request.

I'm going to start the test tonight before I go to bed without including Mainboard and report what's failed, if anything.

I have a SATA hdd and a SATA mobo but I didn't set Windows up for a RAID array.

If you need more information, please let me know what you need.

Edited by Denisejm, 26 August 2007 - 04:52 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please take the following steps in the same order as written below:

1: Please repeat step one of my previous post.

2: Do this to clear the BIOS: disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall in the reverse order and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error. If you do, enter BIOS by pressing Del or F2 repeatedly when starting the computer until BIOS tables show up. Set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS. You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. Look for what key you have to press to enter setup.

3: Repeat Sandra test. Check eveything on page one and two and do not interrupt the test until it reaches the end.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Last night, I started the procedure. I closed all running programs, went into MSConfig and turned off everything in the Startup tab, disconnected from the internet, and turned off my antivirus programs.

I removed the battery from the pc, waited 15 mins and put it back in. Before I took it out, the writing on the battery was right side up. When I put it back in, the writing was upside down. I believe this was what you meant by "reverse order."

I started the Sandra test. At around 11:45 pm, the mainboard test started. It's now almost 11:00 am and it's still running the mainboard test.

I'm writing this post from my daughter's computer. I'll wait a couple of hours for a reply from you to see what you'd like me to do. It doesn't look like Sandra is able to run the mainboard test.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
By installing in the reverse order I meant to put everything back, as it was, starting from the last step. Anyway, the battery has to be with the + sign, the wider side with the writing, facing you. so it seems that you installed it upside down. Please correct this.

Sandra should not run that long. Please run it again after setting the batteery right. if it still run that long then we consider other steps.