Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about formatting

• Please log in to reply

ComputerNoobMan

ComputerNoobMan

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have an HP computer so the method of formatting my computer is different, I use the system recover feature. My question is that will I still be able to format my computer even though I've installed a new video card and new ram? Or will I have to remove the video card and boot with the onboard vga that came with it as well as remove the new ram and put back the old ram. I'm asking this because I want to see if reformatting my computer will fix this problem - http://www.geekstogo...OD-t168507.html

Doug

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Likely it is more to do with the video card, re-install the software from the CD which came with the card

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I'd say just to be safe remove the new vid card and ram and run system recover then just reinstall them. As Keith stated it'd be more of a problem with the video card because the system recover would install the drivers for the original onboard vga and not the new addon card. just uninstall the onboard vid cards drivers and disable it then install your new card and drivers for it. Not sure if leaving them in would mess up the recover program or not, it will probably just ignore the new vid card and you'd just have to install its drivers yourself. but like I said, just to be safe I'd just take out anything you've added to the pc is back to its original specs.

good luck

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To clarify post 2

The problem is likely to be with the video card drivers, nothing else

ComputerNoobMan

ComputerNoobMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've tried reinstalling the drivers that game with the CD (clean uninstall, then a clean install), but the problem still happens. And I'm not sure if a system format would help since I've heard it might not.

Edited by ComputerNoobMan, 25 August 2007 - 10:11 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
System Restore on the HP will be motherboard specific, so providing you dont' change the board, it'll still work. RAM has nothing to do with it.
Depending on the graphics card you've got, the restored system will probably not know what to do with it after restore so you would need drivers in that situation.