Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Miscrosoft Word

• Please log in to reply

jedbel

jedbel

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi I would appreciate any help I can get. THe problem is when I open Microsoft Word and try to open one of my documents "The file is not available" comes up. Then When I try to exit microsoft word "File normal already exists do you want to replace this file?" comes up. I put no and then "Changes have been made that affect the global template Normal do you want to save these changes?" comes up when I put no then it will let me exit.

I don't understand what is going on. I have many important documents saved on there. I also notice that some of the letters on the file names of my doc. have been changed. I am worried. Can a virus do this?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi jedbel!

Are the files you're trying to open on your local hard drive or on a shared drive? Please confirm whether you're trying to open them from double-clicking a shortcut, browsing to the file and double-clicking it, or from inside Word.

The error about changes to the Normal file can occur when you've got add-ins installed (programs that integrate with Word) or when you're using a template location on a shared drive.

Do either of conditions apply to your situation?

jedbel

jedbel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you so much for answering. I am clueless when it comes to computer so I will try to answer as best I can. To open documents I have tried both opening on microsoft word and also just going to my documents and trying to open there (which immediately opens microsoft word and says same thing "file not available"). I beleive the files are on my local hard drive. What do you mean by add ins installed? How can I check for those?

Forgot to mention that when I try to bring up Word "Windows intaller" preparing to install comes up. Then "The feature you are try to use is on cd-rom or other removable disk that is not available insert the norton antivirus 2006 disk and click ok " comes up ( we removed Norton last year so I don't understand) I press cancel and it does this two more time then lets me in Word. I don't think that is it because it has been doing this for a while and I could still access my files but thought I would mention it just in case... Thanks again!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What version of Word do you have? Open Word, click the Help menu, About...

jedbel

jedbel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
microsoft Word 2002

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I don't think it's entirely a Word issue. I've got some links that I think will help you get rid of the Norton installer message.

1. Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
download here
explanation of how it works

I think this will take care of that problem.

2. Updated Microsoft Installer
download here

3. Reinstall Word ** you'll need your Microsoft disk to do this. Do this after using the Cleanup Utility.

If you need additional assistance, please post back.