Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems with Licensed Win XP pro with built-in SP2

• Please log in to reply

Madhu_K7

Madhu_K7

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Geeks,

I have great trouble with the Windows XP. My brother bought this Brand New Licensed Windows XP pro with buiit in Service pack 2 from Singapore Microsoft corporation. I installed it in my old desktop PC and after installing turned the automatic updates off. Then whenever i opened the my computer after some period of time an error message pops up saying windows explorer has encountered a serious problem and needs to be closed. Then the my computer window closes. This kept happening untill i switched the automatic updates to on again. I didnt want the automatic updates on because whenever i access the internet will keep looking for updates making my browsing very slow.

Please provide a solution for this if you guys had already encountered this one. I feel the pirated version of the windows works well than the licensed ones!.

Many thanks,
Madhu...

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
have you tried switching the auto updates back off again after you turned it back on and the problem stopped? just thinking maybe your windows had a bug of some sort and when you turned auto updates back on windows downloaded some updates to fix the problem. unless the problem occurs again after turning them back off. personally I'd leave them on. you can just schedule a time for it to check and download updates. I have mine to check at 4 am when I know I won't be on the pc. other than that you could check winxp's Event Viewer for errors. just goto control panel then administrative tools then Event Viewer and check for system and application errors that have to do with Explorer.exe and double click on it and copy and paste what it says under Description which should let us know exactly what the problem explorer was having and be better able to help ya.

good luck

Madhu_K7

Madhu_K7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey ViprXX, thanks for the help. I will try that out and let you know. THanks!