Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIG Problems

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
So I just installed my graphics driver and when i restart i get an error and now have to repair windows. But i cant get into my bios because my keyboard doesnt turn on until windows boots and that means no bios, and no bios means i cant change to boot cd first, which means i cant repair. Also my wireless card isnt turning on and most likely its not seated but if not Ill have to RMA it which would be bad. And without the internet I cant get the correct drivers for my video card. Also how do i change my monitors to 1680x1050 cause windows wont let me go that high. Also how do i turn Aero on. Thanks a lot for anyone that helps.

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
windows probably won't let you change your resolution to 1680x1050 is your card doesn't support that resolution. anyways, if your keyboard is a usb one try using a ps2 keyboard to enter bios. maybe the usb keyboard function got disabled in the bios somehow. or try just resetting the CMOS.

good luck

phatjo911

phatjo911

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I think you should change your keyboard to ps2. You can probably buy an adapter for it for a low price. I think that will help you get into the bios. Good luck!!

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Yea i figured that out earlier and Im going to go buy a ps2 keyboard real cheap and just change the bios. And my video card definitely supports it. Its the HD 2900xt and it supports higher also. And the whole reason that i got into this mess is because the stupid drivers were wrong. Also Im not quite sure but I think my wireless card is dead which means more problems cause now i have to rma that.

Edited by Drumbum667, 25 August 2007 - 06:48 AM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Also how do u get DX10 running.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Where did you get your drivers?
The P/S2 cable should fix your problems in BIOS.
Can you provide a link to your monitor?
DX10 can only work on vista, only select games currently use the technology.
Just a word of advice, it's always good to create a new restore point prior to a software update.
James

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
sounds to me like some drivers for the video card havent been installed...look for the updates on your manufacturer's web page and install those for vista

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I got the drivers directly from the ATI website. And when I installed them and rebooted I got the error and then it worked and went to windows and says the drivers havent been installed. Does DX10 automatically come with Vista or do I have to install it. Also, I just took the motherboard battery out and put it back in after a little bit to reset the cmos and now it loads and shows the mobo screen and then goes to blank. Later Ill plug the PS/2 keyboard back in to try and view the POST test because u have to press a button to view it and see if the BIOS works because even with it in it didnt go into the BIOS last night. Also good to see you back James. I was hoping for you to see my thread and help because you helped a lot when selecting the parts. That thread is now 7 pages long. Heres the monitor(I had to change the one I was getting because the one I was originally getting was out of stock),Optiquest Monitor, there was one review about it not working with the HD 2900XT but it booted up before so that shouldnt be the case. Also Im wondering if the fact that the DVI cable is digital is the reason its not going to full 1680x1050. Thanks.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Honestly I'd try a different monitor just to double check if it's the case, if others have had problems with it I can see you having the same problems.
DX10 comes with vista however there is going to be an update, DX10.1, which will fix some issues and show it's true capabilities.
As for the resolution, you should be able to achieve 1680x1050 without a question. By any chance did you get the drivers for the monitor?
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Yes it did get the drivers for the monitor but it didnt install correctly. Its definitely not the monitor because when it firsts boots up it shows the mobos screen and the options and stuff but then it just goes to a blank screen and never switches to Windows.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Please help. If no one on here can help then i have to give it to the guy who helped me build it to fix it and id rather not.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Can you not get to the menu which displays, boot to last known working configuration?
Have you tried using the keyboard with the PS/2 connector?
When you try to boot what is the exact message you get?
James

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Well Im going to try and unplug the usb keyboard and use just the ps/2 one and see if i can access the bios. I dont get any message. Just it goes the Mobos screen, then goes blank and stays that way. If nothing here helps which i hope it does im goin to have the guy who helped me build it take it and see if he can fix it.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Sometimes you don't get a message prompting you to enter BIOS. Just try tapping Delete, F10, and other common BIOS buttons as you power on your system.