Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Salvaging an old PC

• Please log in to reply

Wheathampstead Brko

Wheathampstead Brko

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Got a whole PC from my school yesterday in the hope I can run it as a second PC, albeit with dire performance. I was told it was a runner but having set everything up the monitor just went into power saving mode and that was about the height of things. Fan starts up just fine but no power to mouse, keyboard erc

Simplest answer is that the video is ballsed up and I do have a video card laying around (somewhere) which I am about to try putting in. The thing is, I need to uninstall/override the original driver but I can't do that if I can't use the thing.

Next port of call is trying a different harddrive, can't see anything else it could be that I would be able to diagnose AND fix without spending anything

Any ideas on ANY front? I know absoultely nothing about the PC I'm except that the hard drive wasn't wiped

Edited by Wheathampstead Brko, 25 August 2007 - 04:21 AM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You can add that video card without the correct drivers. The card will work it just won't work well. If there is a problem with the onboard graphics then it is likely that the entire board is bad and adding a video probably won't help. It is worth a shot though. It sounds to me like either the board or RAM is bad. If you have some spare sticks laying around I would try to drop them in and see how it goes.