Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BLUE SCREEN C:Drive as removable hardware

• Please log in to reply

misterc

misterc

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi all,

after getting a whole new PC system and installing windows XP, I am getting a lot of blue screens.

All of the error codes are pointing to the fact that my C:Drive is showing as a removable hardware item. For instance, nearly everytime I try to go back a page in my internet browser up comes the blue screen with diffirent error numbers which indicate that my hard drive is a USB removable device. The "safely remove hardware" icon is also showing in the bottom right hand corner of my task bar.

How can I change the properties of my hard drive so that it is not seen by my system as a USB device?

Do I have to do something in my BIOS?

Please help!!

As always, many thanks in advance, misterc :whistling:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: When you open My Computer is C defined as a as a Local Disk under Hard disk Drives?
2: Did you partition the hard disk? Are the partitiones showns as a Local Disk under Hard disk Drives?
3: Do you have any USB removable device connected to the computer?
4: When you installed Xp was it a clean install (including formatting) or was it a clone that you opened up?
5: When you installed XP did you have any USB removable device connected?

misterc

misterc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you for your speedy reply.

In answer to your questions as follows.

1.Yes
2.No
3.No
4.Yes
5.No

Thank you once again...if you need any more information to help me out then please ask.

Hoping and waiting, yours misterc.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to reset BIOS to default values. If this doesn't help then, frankly, I would reformat and reinstall everything. You can try windows repair (you can find a link to instructions in the list below) but the truth is that I wouldn't start repairing a brand new system. I had rather go for the whole process. It looks like a serious driver or some other file corruption.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

All of the error codes are pointing to the fact that my C:Drive is showing as a removable hardware item. For instance, nearly everytime I try to go back a page in my internet browser up comes the blue screen with diffirent error numbers which indicate that my hard drive is a USB removable device. The "safely remove hardware" icon is also showing in the bottom right hand corner of my task bar.

It's supposed to do that if it's a Serial ATA drive.
Your blue screens are probably caused by a faulty stick of memory.
Please see http://www.memtest.org/ for a tool you can download and leave running for a few hours (preferably overnight) to see if it flags anything up.

How can I change the properties of my hard drive so that it is not seen by my system as a USB device?

Do I have to do something in my BIOS?

You don't need to do anything. This is normal behaviour, most recent drives show up as removable USB devices. SATA drives are hot-pluggable just like USB devices. Obviously you don't do this with the main drive but you could with a second drive.