Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help - Newly Built PC Stopped Running

• Please log in to reply

bgphilbin

bgphilbin

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi -

My main problem is that I've done something foolish. I have a new PC that was built for me and upon installing the OS (Win XP Home) and completing all the setup and noting that the PC was not running nearly as efficiently as I'd expected, I decided to make sure that things were set to run quickly in CMOS, so I went into Setup to look at and adjust the settings.

Firstly, the RAM was not running at the appropriate MHz, so I reset that (it was running at around 233 MHz and I reset it to 533 MHz, which was the highest setting available - the Mobo and RAM are supposed to be 800 MHz, but that's another issue entirely).

Then, I noted that the chip was running at what looked like 200 MHz (it just said 200, no delineation that I recall), but could be set to overclock at a higher speed. This is an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz chip, so - even though I'd never used a setting that wasn't preset before - I tried 300... big mistake. The moment I did that and saved these new settings, the screen went dark and the unit wouldn't boot or even attempt to do so. All that happens is I hear a high-pitched humming sound every once in awhile that I heard when it was first booting up previously - but nothing after that and it repeats every so often.

Power is reaching the case and the unit overall, but there's no signal being sent to the monitor and nothing happens at all when I start it - just that little sound.

Not knowing what I might be able to do to correct this, I've powered the unit down until I can get some advice.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some instruction that might be helpful. In case it's helpful, here's the PC construction info:

Part Number Description Cost Qty Ext. Cost

KIT-461/3 KIT-461: : Intel, Core 2 Duo / Pentium / Celeron, PCI-E x16 VGA
- Qty. 1, Intel Core 2 Duo E4400, LGA 775, 2.0GHz, 64-Bit Dual-Core, 2MB Cache; { 800MHz FSB }
- Qty. 1, ECS VIA PT890, E-1066, RAID, w/Audio, w/LAN. [ PT890T-A V1.0 ]
- Qty. 1, DDR2: 1024MB 800MHz / PC6400
- Qty. 1, DDR2: 512MB 800MHz / PC6400
- Qty. 1, 250GB SATA-II 7200RPM w/8MB Buffer
- Qty. 1, ROM:DVDRW: 20x Dual-Format/Dual-Layer w/LightScribe, Black Color
- Qty. 1, ROM:CD: 52x CD ROM, Black Color
- Qty. 1, PCI-E16: Geforce 7100GS: 256MB
- Qty. 1, 5.1 Channels 3D Surround Sound [ If system board states w/Audio ]
- Qty. 1, Onboard Network Port(s) [ If system board states w/LAN ]
- Qty. 1, Aspire mTower ATX: X-Cruiser [ X-CRUISER-BL/420 ], Blue w/ 420W PSU
- Qty. 1, Use the Power Supply [ PSU ] comes with my PC Case [ If the PC Case states w/ PSU ]

The PC came with tech support, but not on weekends - which doesn't seem to be doing me much good on a weekend, huh?

Anyway, any ideas or direction you might be able to give me would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BGPhilbin

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This issue was resolved in Live Chat by clearing the CMOS.