Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

permissons denied

• Please log in to reply

badgrrrly

badgrrrly

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Wow i have read some of the forums and decided that this could be the place i can get help and maybe make new friends. I am not computer illiterate but have run into a issue i can't resolve myself and certainly do not have the $$ to have fixed professionally.
first all my computers are Dells, with windows xp home. our main desktop which has our internet provider info installed on it was working wonderfully, my spouse was reformatting his mp3 player and able to move his music to it and for a day after that the only thing that would work on the system was IE now it wont even do that. at no time using any of the log on's for that system now can you access any files. solitaire etc... all of them come up with a box that says permissions denied. can't even do a system restore that is denied too. can anyone clue me in ?
any help would be most appreciated i have two weeks before my new system arrives.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Is Safe Mode available?

badgrrrly

badgrrrly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i can't figure out how to get to it. i'm so frustrated that nothing is making sense to me.

Metahuman

Metahuman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Since you are not able to launch your IE, please go through this -
To start the computer in safe mode

1. You should print these instructions before continuing. They will not be available after you shut your computer down in step 2.

2. Click Start and then click Shut Down.

3. In the drop-down list of the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.

4. As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8.
On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when the boot menu appears.

5. Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.

6. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.

Note:
• If Windows launches before you can choose a safe mode, restart your computer and try again.
• In safe mode, you have access to only basic files and drivers (mouse, monitor, keyboard, mass storage, base video, default system services, and no network connections). You can choose the Safe Mode with Networking option, which loads all of the above files and drivers and the essential services and drivers to start networking, or you can choose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option, which is exactly the same as safe mode except that a command prompt is started instead of the graphical user interface. You can also choose Last Known Good Configuration, which starts your computer using the registry information that was saved at the last shutdown.
• Safe mode helps you diagnose problems. If a symptom does not reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and minimum device drivers as possible causes. If a newly added device or a changed driver is causing problems, you can use safe mode to remove the device or reverse the change.
• There are circumstances where safe mode will not be able to help you, such as when Windows system files that are required to start the system are corrupted or damaged. In this case, the Recovery Console may help you.
NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

This information was taken from: http://www.microsoft...e.mspx?mfr=true

If you are able to get into the Safe Mode, please try to uninstall any Anti-Viruses, Anti-Spywares, Firewalls that might have been installed on your computer & try to get to the desktop normally & check if you are able to access your files.

Please remember to take proper back-ups of your Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware/Firewall licences.

Edited by Metahuman, 26 August 2007 - 12:32 AM.

Metahuman

Metahuman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Even, after you doing this, you are not able to access your files, please follow this information and create a New User Account -

To open the User Accounts tool, open Control Panel from the Start menu, and then double click User Accounts.

To Create a New User Account
1. Click Create a new account in the Pick a task list box.
2. Type the name that you want to use for the account, and then click Next.
3. Select the desired account type, and then click Create Account.

This information was taken from - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

I would always choose 'Computer Administrator' as the user account type since it has all the rights needed to access the contents on your computer.

After this is done, please 'Restart' your computer & on the login screen/prompt, log in to the new user account.

badgrrrly

badgrrrly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i was able to get in safe mode and now can access my files . its 5am and i've had no sleep so i will try to reconnect internet stuff when i wake up. Thank you soooooo much for the help. figured it would be simple issue but i was blonde momenting. LOL no offense to blondes !

Metahuman

Metahuman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Erm, can you use your computer in the normal mode though?

badgrrrly

badgrrrly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
oh my god , yes i can use it in normal mode now except for that darned 2wire home portal so only broadband/wireless net access is available. that's how i am able to get on on here with you guys (using my wirelss on laptop). i apologize for not stating that this morning.

badgrrrly

badgrrrly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
must have done something wrong, i was able to access everything normally and then when i unplugged my wireless/hub to reset it i wasn't able to access again. i've went in and reset the permissions once more *sigh* and will reread your instructions page once again. if nothing else at least i'll be able to transfer my files to removable hard drive.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Sometimes routers can be touchy. I do it like this:

Power down the system.
Unplug everything.

Wait a bit.

Plug in the router and let it settle down.
Plug the internet cable into the router.
Let it settle down. (lights get steady)
Plug the cable from the computer into the router.
Boot up the system.