Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

loading software which uses windows98 os to an xp os

• Please log in to reply

aclarke1

aclarke1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I try to load an old copy of AutoCAD to my computer which uses XP Home, I get a message from the wizard which says that the os is not recognised . It says that it uses NT4, windows 95 or 98. I know that this can be done, but I just don't know how. Can anyone please help?

Edited by aclarke1, 25 August 2007 - 08:37 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Which version of AutoCAD is it? Some older versions will have issues under XP - AutoCAD 2000 for example is known to have issues with the installer under XP.

aclarke1

aclarke1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It is AutoCAD 2000. I have it loaded on another computer using xp home and it works fine, but I can't remember how I did it! This is how I know it can be done...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
AutoCAD 2000 can apparently be installed by running the setup program in compatibility mode.

aclarke1

aclarke1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear Neil Jones

As I have no idea how to do this, can you please explain how can I run setup in compatibility mode? Where do I find it?

After reading a few posts I noticed someone saying "if you don't know, google it" I did and I found it. by going to "start", "help and Support" and following the "Fixing a Problem", "Troubleshooting Problems", "Getting older programs to run on XP", and finally "Start the Program Compatibility Wizard". Follow the instructions and "Bob's your Uncle". The whole thing was easy. It runs a treat.

Thankyou very much for your help. Now my daughter can do her homework...

aclarke1

Edited by aclarke1, 29 August 2007 - 06:06 AM.