Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems uninstalling WMP10!

• Please log in to reply

Barako

Barako

• Pip
  • 6 posts
A while back, I decided to upgrade my WMP9 to WMP10 just so it would stop telling me to upgrade. However, at the end of installation, I was told that an error occurred, and the installation process shut down. When I went to open WMP, the icon was changed to the WMP10 version, but instead of running, a message popped up that said "An internal application error has occurred." I tried installing WMP9 over it, but that didn't work, and I tried uninstalling WMP10, and although it told me the rollback to WMP9 was complete, I still got the same error message whenever I tried to run the program. So, I tried reinstalling WMP10, but I had the same problem as with the first installation, and repeated attempts at rolling it back to WMP9 all failed. So now, I still get that "An internal application error has occurred" message whenever I try opening WMP or any files that are defaulted to the program. I'm using Winamp for the time being, but I would really like to switch back to WMP9, as it is the only program that actually lets me burn CDs. I'm afraid of modifying the system registry, as I know nothing about that OR system restore points and have lots of important files on my computer that I would not want to lose. If I could get a few suggestions on what to do, I would be very grateful.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
OK, your best bet is to use 'System Restore'. Follow this:
1. Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore.
2. Click 'Next' when the SR box opens.
3. From the available dates, choose the EARLIEST date/restore point that says 'Installed media player 10" (if you installed WMP10 more than once, there will probably be more than one date which says "Installed Media Player 10. Choose the FIRST one of these - EARLIEST date)
4. click NEXT.
5. read the warnings and click NEXT to start the restore process.

Barako

Barako

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for the advice, but I'm rather adverse to using System Restore simply because I have no idea what it does, other than that it restores your system to a previous state. Would any files I had created since the restore point I select be deleted? If I were to lose anything I had done past that date (which is a LOT) I would be very upset.